Home iMore Q&A > Ask a Question

Can you set certain apps to keep screen alive

Asked: Jul 24 2018 | 7:06 am EDT 1422 Views 7 Answers View Best Answer

Ok, if I am watching a video my iPad, the screen stays on no issue. With other apps it dims after a set amount of time then the screen goes off. I use One Note for my guitar practice and the screen goes off all the time and its quite annoying.

I have found the setting to increase screen alive time between touches but that affects all apps and is screwing my battery life.

Is it possible to just set certain apps to always keep screen alive while in use?

Thanks
Chris

Best Answer

Jul 24 2018 | 12:09 pm EDT Sherry_B

Hello Chris, and welcome to iMore!

There is no setting that I know of in iOS. The feature you want has to be added by the app developer themselves. I have one that does it called OurGroceries (syncs custom lists between the app on your phone and on your partners phone). It's handy to have the screen forced to stay on sometimes, but the dummy developer did not add an option in the app to disable it.

If you want this type of feature you'll have to request it from Apple, or from specific app developers.

More Answers

Jul 24 2018 | 7:49 am EDT pkcable

Chris welcome to iMore! Please feel free to join so you can respond in the thread.

Anyways I have searched the settings on my iPhone and could not find such a feature for individual apps.
Jul 24 2018 | 8:29 am EDT Just_Me_D

Ok, if I am watching a video my iPad, the screen stays on no issue. With other apps it dims after a set amount of time then the screen goes off. I use One Note for my guitar practice and the screen goes off all the time and its quite annoying.

I have found the setting to increase screen alive time between touches but that affects all apps and is screwing my battery life.

Is it possible to just set certain apps to always keep screen alive while in use?

Thanks
Chris
I can't recall if it is present in iOS 11, but with iOS 12, if your attention is detected, the device will not dim the screen.
Jul 24 2018 | 9:31 am EDT Tartarus

I can't recall if it is present in iOS 11, but with iOS 12, if your attention is detected, the device will not dim the screen.
Isn’t this only for iPhone X’s?
Jul 24 2018 | 10:22 am EDT pkcable

It depends, some sort of sensor would be needed OR the device's camera. IF it's done with the camera, and that probably IS how it's done, then only the X probably. IF its tapping in to another sensor then a solid maybe! lol My suspicion is it's an X only feature.
Jul 24 2018 | 10:57 am EDT Just_Me_D

You know, I’m not sure.
Jul 24 2018 | 11:10 am EDT Tartarus

You know, I’m not sure.
I ask this because my iPhone 7 Plus doesn’t have this feature, and yet I’m on the latest dev beta.