When I put my iPhone against my skin specifically he top right corner it feels warm. I borrowed a thermometer from a friend and t was reading 88-91 when using reddit, safari, and outlook for about 20-30 minutes.

I’ve read some people say it’s normal and others not so I was hoping some people could let me know or actually check the temp of there phone after 30 minutes of moderate use?

Thanks!

Room temp varies from 70-75

All are Fahrenheit
    06-13-2018 07:32 AM
    Nothing to worry about. It’s perfectly normal for your iPhone to get warm while you’re using it. Keep in mind your iPhone also has built-in fail safes in case it gets too hot.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201678
    Annie_8plus, Lee_Bo and Sherry_B like this.
    06-13-2018 07:45 AM
    It will also get warm if you're using those same three apps and have weak LTE signal and no wifi.
    06-13-2018 10:41 AM
    Nothing to worry about. It’s perfectly normal for your iPhone to get warm while you’re using it. Keep in mind your iPhone also has built-in fail safes in case it gets too hot.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201678
    Hey just signed up to thank you, like I said some people tell me its normal others say its not I am guessing its a combination of hand heat, room temp and the apps? I feel like 90 isnt that hot honestly but others seem to think its insanely hot,
    06-13-2018 11:17 AM
    Hey just signed up to thank you, like I said some people tell me its normal others say its not I am guessing its a combination of hand heat, room temp and the apps? I feel like 90 isnt that hot honestly but others seem to think its insanely hot,
    No problem at all. Thanks for joining!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-13-2018 01:26 PM
    No problem at all. Thanks for joining!
    But that temp of 90 is normal for those activities?
    06-13-2018 04:28 PM
    Mine gets hot that way at times. I usually swipe any suspect apps out of multitasking, then do a hard reset (reboot). Then let it sit a minute or two. It's usually an app causing it. It can get a little warm if you're charging it and using apps at the same time. I do that a lot.
    06-13-2018 04:59 PM
    If you look at the Apple website and check the tech specs for your specific model, it will tell you what the normal operating temperatures are... those are normal temps.
    06-13-2018 05:15 PM
    If you look at the Apple website and check the tech specs for your specific model, it will tell you what the normal operating temperatures are... those are normal temps.
    I believe the web site refers to ambient operating temperatures, not the actual temperature of the internal components.
    06-13-2018 06:43 PM
    06-13-2018 07:12 PM
    I believe the web site refers to ambient operating temperatures, not the actual temperature of the internal components.
    Right, because there's no way for us to actually measure that without opening up the phone. From what I understand Apple doesn't allow an app to have access to that info, so all the end user can really do is go by the temperature of the outside of the case. Not sure if I would agree that it should be called ambient temp, but it's as close as we can get.
    06-13-2018 08:22 PM
    Right, because there's no way for us to actually measure that without opening up the phone. From what I understand Apple doesn't allow an app to have access to that info, so all the end user can really do is go by the temperature of the outside of the case. Not sure if I would agree that it should be called ambient temp, but it's as close as we can get.
    I believe ambient temp refers to the temperature of the environment where the phone is being used, not the temperature of the outside of the actual phone.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    06-13-2018 08:25 PM
    I believe ambient temp refers to the temperature of the environment where the phone is being used, not the temperature of the outside of the actual phone.
    I believe you are correct so in. 72 degree plus hand temp and usage 90 seems decently normal.
    06-13-2018 08:54 PM
    I agree that this seems normal, and other than that have nothing to add to this, other than welcome to iMore!
    06-14-2018 09:28 AM
    90 might sound kind of high, but the CPU should begin to throttle itself to prevent damage if the temperature does get too high.

I don't know much about Apple CPUs, but for Intel at least, the max temp for a lot of CPUs, both mobile and desktop, is 100 C (212 F). This would make the 90 F in normal operating range, at least for the Intel.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-14-2018 10:11 AM
    90 might sound kind of high, but the CPU should begin to throttle itself to prevent damage if the temperature does get too high.

I don't know much about Apple CPUs, but for Intel at least, the max temp for a lot of CPUs, both mobile and desktop, is 100 C (212 F). This would make the 90 F in normal operating range, at least for the Intel.
    So are you saying it’s normal or not? And I’m saying the back of the phone is 90 not the cpu...
    06-14-2018 11:02 AM
    Don't use the "t" word around here anymore. Some people go nuts at the mention of it.
    06-14-2018 03:55 PM

Thank you for the clarification.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    06-14-2018 04:01 PM
    Don't use the "t" word around here anymore. Some people go nuts at the mention of it.
    What... throttle? Lol
    06-14-2018 05:00 PM
    So are you saying it’s normal or not? And I’m saying the back of the phone is 90 not the cpu...
    It sounds like it should be normal.

I get that you are talking the back of the phone, but keep in mind the back of the phone being metal means that it is a giant heat sink for the CPU.
    06-14-2018 05:01 PM
    What... throttle? Lol
    Yup. A joke b/c batterygate, or whatever people wanna call it. A bad joke maybe, but a joke nonetheless. LOL
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-14-2018 05:04 PM
    So consensus is it’s normal right everyone!
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-14-2018 11:50 PM
    So consensus is it’s normal right everyone!
    Yeah, I think it's nothing to worry about.
    06-18-2018 09:28 AM
    Yeah, I think it's nothing to worry about.
    + 1
    nothing will happen
    06-25-2018 07:22 AM
    Mine gets hot that way at times. I usually swipe any suspect apps out of multitasking, then do a hard reset (reboot). Then let it sit a minute or two. It's usually an app causing it. It can get a little warm if you're charging it and using apps at the same time. I do that a lot.
    My iPhone's can get a bit warm when using day to day tasks, such as mildly intensive browsing to imore, macrumors, and reddit. Using Appolo can also warm it up. Facebook app can also make it feel a bit warm, and even making phone calls can warm it up. Are all of these normal to heat up the phone? Temp gun can read up to 34.4C room temp is 22.2222
    Thank you everyone.
    06-25-2018 11:51 AM
26 12