iPhone Temp?

I

iMore Question

When I put my iPhone against my skin specifically he top right corner it feels warm. I borrowed a thermometer from a friend and t was reading 88-91 when using reddit, safari, and outlook for about 20-30 minutes.

I’ve read some people say it’s normal and others not so I was hoping some people could let me know or actually check the temp of there phone after 30 minutes of moderate use?

Thanks!

Room temp varies from 70-75

All are Fahrenheit

ITuser44

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Visit site
Nothing to worry about. It’s perfectly normal for your iPhone to get warm while you’re using it. Keep in mind your iPhone also has built-in fail safes in case it gets too hot.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201678

Hey just signed up to thank you, like I said some people tell me its normal others say its not I am guessing its a combination of hand heat, room temp and the apps? I feel like 90 isnt that hot honestly but others seem to think its insanely hot,

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey just signed up to thank you, like I said some people tell me its normal others say its not I am guessing its a combination of hand heat, room temp and the apps? I feel like 90 isnt that hot honestly but others seem to think its insanely hot,

No problem at all. Thanks for joining!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
But that temp of 90 is normal for those activities?

Mine gets hot that way at times. I usually swipe any suspect apps out of multitasking, then do a hard reset (reboot). Then let it sit a minute or two. It's usually an app causing it. It can get a little warm if you're charging it and using apps at the same time. I do that a lot.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you look at the Apple website and check the tech specs for your specific model, it will tell you what the normal operating temperatures are... those are normal temps.

I believe the web site refers to ambient operating temperatures, not the actual temperature of the internal components.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I believe the web site refers to ambient operating temperatures, not the actual temperature of the internal components.

Right, because there's no way for us to actually measure that without opening up the phone. From what I understand Apple doesn't allow an app to have access to that info, so all the end user can really do is go by the temperature of the outside of the case. Not sure if I would agree that it should be called ambient temp, but it's as close as we can get.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Right, because there's no way for us to actually measure that without opening up the phone. From what I understand Apple doesn't allow an app to have access to that info, so all the end user can really do is go by the temperature of the outside of the case. Not sure if I would agree that it should be called ambient temp, but it's as close as we can get.

I believe ambient temp refers to the temperature of the environment where the phone is being used, not the temperature of the outside of the actual phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
90 might sound kind of high, but the CPU should begin to throttle itself to prevent damage if the temperature does get too high.

I don't know much about Apple CPUs, but for Intel at least, the max temp for a lot of CPUs, both mobile and desktop, is 100 C (212 F). This would make the 90 F in normal operating range, at least for the Intel.

ITuser44

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Visit site
90 might sound kind of high, but the CPU should begin to throttle itself to prevent damage if the temperature does get too high.

I don't know much about Apple CPUs, but for Intel at least, the max temp for a lot of CPUs, both mobile and desktop, is 100 C (212 F). This would make the 90 F in normal operating range, at least for the Intel.

So are you saying it’s normal or not? And I’m saying the back of the phone is 90 not the cpu...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
So are you saying it’s normal or not? And I’m saying the back of the phone is 90 not the cpu...
It sounds like it should be normal.

I get that you are talking the back of the phone, but keep in mind the back of the phone being metal means that it is a giant heat sink for the CPU.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods