My "On My iPhone" account notes don't restore from iCloud

simbadoggy

Jun 12, 2018
Visit site
Hi,
I had lots of notes stored in the "On My iPhone" account, but following a reset of my iphone (erased all data), only those notes created in the "iCloud" folder have restored back and it appears i have lost all those stored in the "On My iPhone" account. There is no mention anywhere on the Apple site or the whether notes in the "On My iPhone" are backed up to iCloud or not. Any ideas on what should happen to notes in "On My iPhone" account?. Have i lost them forever ?.
Thanks in advance,
Vijay

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My "On My iPhone" account notes don't restore from iCloud

No, they don't. You should go to settings and enable notes for iCloud. "On My iPhone" is local only. They do not sync with iCloud. If you restored, you may have lost those notes.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I had lots of notes stored in the "On My iPhone" account, but following a reset of my iphone (erased all data), only those notes created in the "iCloud" folder have restored back and it appears i have lost all those stored in the "On My iPhone" account. There is no mention anywhere on the Apple site or the whether notes in the "On My iPhone" are backed up to iCloud or not. Any ideas on what should happen to notes in "On My iPhone" account?. Have i lost them forever ?.
Thanks in advance,
Vijay

The two default folders in Notes are self-explanatory: “iCloud” or “On My iPhone”. With that being said, if you erased all settings and data on your iPhone then you have surely erased the notes that were saved on the device. If you’ve created an iTunes backup before you erased your device then you may be able to restore those notes.

simbadoggy

Jun 12, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for replying. I had selected Notes in the list of apps to be backed up so I assumed that all notes would be getting backed up to icloud. Guess I was wrong.

Similarly, I have lost everything in the Wallet too. Most frustrating.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for replying. I had selected Notes in the list of apps to be backed up so I assumed that all notes would be getting backed up to icloud. Guess I was wrong.

Wallet has to be checked, in iCloud settings, in order to backup to iCloud.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I've never had an issue with restoring notes stored on my phone from iCloud backups. I'm trying to think of what may be missing, but the only thing I can think of is possibly not hitting the arrow pointing to the left in Notes that takes you all the way back to the "root directory", which shows everything, not just what is in iCloud.

That's a security feature. Apple will never keep any info you have in your wallet in a backup. It's similar with fingerprint ID.

Here's more info just in case you have not ran across this yet; https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht207428

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods