Upgrade to iPhone 8📱:Pay only $8 a month
    Looking to see if people’s phones match up to what I experience yesterday in a car my iPhone X get pretty through the entire phone when I got out and was able to check the temp with a thermometer the phone was 90 degrees on the back and felt warm against my skin this was just idling in my truck with the ac on. I can easily make both my iPhone X and 7 ramp up over this with just general usage such as browsing the internet or facebook but usually this is under the camera.

Is it normal for a phone to feel warm when idling in my lap while driving with the AC on? The whole phone felt warm at this point. Roughly 80 degrees outside yesterday.

All of this is in Fahrenheit also what temp is your phone f you can check for me. Any thermometer will work.

Thank you so much, also my previous X was replaced I have had this one since Friday, updated to 11.4 Wednesday.
    05-31-2018 08:09 AM
    My iPhone X rarely gets beyond Luke warm from “my” normal usage. With that being said, hopefully someone who has experienced what you’ve described will reply soon.
    05-31-2018 08:18 AM
    My iPhone X rarely gets beyond Luke warm from “my” normal usage. With that being said, hopefully someone who has experienced what you’ve described will reply soon.
    Mine gets warm, but I think it feels warmer when you put it against your cheek as well. What is your normal usage btw? Also could depend on skin temp?

Also hand temp is 90 degrees so in theory phone would hit that temp as well. plus some.
    Last edited by ghosty22; 05-31-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    05-31-2018 09:05 AM
    Mine gets warm, but I think it feels warmer when you put it against your cheek as well. What is your normal usage btw? Also could depend on skin temp?
    My normal usage is as follows:

Texting
    Checking email
    Forum use
    Checking the weather
    Ordering food
    Slack chat
    Package tracking
    Listening to music
    YouTube videos
    Sports
    Conference calls
    Phone calls
    Some games
    Banking
    Other stuff

In regard to skin temp, I don’t know. I can’t see a persons skin being so hot as to heat up the device, unless you’re the human torch from the Fantastic Four or something....
    05-31-2018 09:31 AM
    My normal usage is as follows:

Texting
    Checking email
    Forum use
    Checking the weather
    Ordering food
    Slack chat
    Package tracking
    Listening to music
    YouTube videos
    Sports
    Conference calls
    Phone calls
    Some games
    Banking
    Other stuff

In regard to skin temp, I don’t know. I can’t see a persons skin being so hot as to heat up the device, unless you’re the human torch from the Fantastic Four or something....
    Oh I meant my skin gets cold... Meaning the phone would feel warmer....
    05-31-2018 09:33 AM
    Since you just updated your phone, my guess that is why it was a warmer than usual. By the way, welcome to iMore!!!
    05-31-2018 01:39 PM
    Well, having AC turned on or not doesn’t really matter, since you were literally sitting on it with your body temperature. The iPhone couldn’t get cooler because the surface was also warm.
    Next time try to keep your iPhone where the cool air from the AC flows.

When I’m traveling by car I put my iPhone in an air duct holder. With the specific air duct opened for just a little bit so that enough cool air flows to my device. In the winter is it the same, but with just about enough hot air.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    05-31-2018 01:44 PM
    Well, having AC turned on or not doesn’t really matter, since you were literally sitting on it with your body temperature. The iPhone couldn’t get cooler because the surface was also warm.
    Next time try to keep your iPhone where the cool air from the AC flows.

When I’m traveling by car I put my iPhone in an air duct holder. With the specific air duct opened for just a little bit so that enough cool air flows to my device. In the winter is it the same, but with just about enough hot air.
    I thought he meant sitting on his lap not in lol
    05-31-2018 01:45 PM
    I thought he meant sitting on his lap not in lol
    Nah, I tried laying the phone on top of my lap while driving. It’s cumbersome at best. The safest way to keep the phone in its place is to put it under your thigh.
    05-31-2018 01:57 PM
    Nah, I tried laying the phone on top of my lap while driving. It’s cumbersome at best. The safest way to keep the phone in its place is to put it under your thigh.
    Awh well mine gets got even just sitting on my lap is that normal?
    05-31-2018 03:47 PM
    the phone was 90 degrees on the back

Average ambient operating temp listed for the X is 35F to 95F, and the average nonoperating temp listed is -4F to 113F.

None of the iPhones have a built in heat sensor, so there is no way for us to really tell the true temperature.
    06-01-2018 11:40 AM