Two unemptyable files in trash on my Mac Pro.

Rocky1960

May 25, 2018
Visit site
I have two items in trash on my Mac Pro. When I try to empty trash I get error messages saying that each of the two files is in use, and that items called "share" and "usr" are also in use, so nothing gets deleted. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread, and nothing works. When I copy the two files to somewhere else on the Mac and then move them to trash, they can be deleted, but the original bad files are still in trash. Any suggestions?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have two items in trash on my Mac Pro. When I try to empty trash I get error messages saying that each of the two files is in use, and that items called "share" and "usr" are also in use, so nothing gets deleted. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread, and nothing works. When I copy the two files to somewhere else on the Mac and then move them to trash, they can be deleted, but the original bad files are still in trash. Any suggestions?

What suggestions “in this thread” are you referring to?

Rocky1960

May 25, 2018
Visit site
I was referring to the thread entitled: Can't empty the trash on your Mac because an item is in use? Try this! I have restarted, error checked the hard drive, tried instant delete, held down control when emptying trash, etc. Just can't get rid of the two items, which I've renamed bad file 1 and bad file 2.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to the thread entitled: Can't empty the trash on your Mac because an item is in use? Try this! I have restarted, error checked the hard drive, tried instant delete, held down control when emptying trash, etc. Just can't get rid of the two items, which I've renamed bad file 1 and bad file 2.

Just to be clear, the “files” previously named “usr” and “share” are indeed “files” and not “folders” as in /usr/. Correct?

Rocky1960

May 25, 2018
Visit site
I wonder if those items were trashed from one of the external hard drives, and will try emptying trash when it is open - after I return home in half an hour.

Rocky1960

May 25, 2018
Visit site
Okay. Keep us updated, if you don’t mind.

No luck. I tried emptying trash with every external hard drive open, one at a time. Same message. I also tried deleting one of the March folders from the HD that I've now renamed bad file 1 in Trash, and then emptying trash. It emptied the recently deleted folder, but left the two problem ones in Trash.

Apple's customer support has several suggestions for the problem I am experiencing, and none of them have worked.

Rocky1960

May 25, 2018
Visit site
One of the suggestions was to start up in Safe Mode. I tried holding down the Shift Key while restarting, and never achieved a Safe Mode. The status remains Normal. Any suggestions on how to do this on a Mac Pro?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711