has anyone else experienced issues with Wifi Calling since 11.3/11.3.1 update

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That’s a fair point. I dunno I just like to use the latest and greatest features

My cellular signal is usually not that good inside my house. So my wifi calling is on most of the time. But I can walk out in my yard, and the cellular signal goes way up. It's weird. Something in my house interferes with my signal. Both cellular and wifi. The only thing I can figure is, I have too much metal in or on the house. It's an older home with aluminum windows. Aluminum windows are horrible. LOL Whoever thought they would be great, should be hog tied and thrown in a river.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Lol. Yeah that’s the same with the me it’s always on in my house too. And connects and works well. Since 11.3 they seemed to change it no big deal as majority of the time it does and I’ve good cell coverage anyway but I’m not gonna complain for better coverage in the house with WiFi calling

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Lol. Yeah that’s the same with the me it’s always on in my house too. And connects and works well. Since 11.3 they seemed to change it no big deal as majority of the time it does and I’ve good cell coverage anyway but I’m not gonna complain for better coverage in the house with WiFi calling

Did you show wifi calling in your status bar even when you were out of range of any wifi signal? Or did it change to LTE or something else?

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
No it only showed when it connected to WiFi. When out and about would drop back to just saying my carriers name and the 4g icon

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Gotcha. Well, the good news is you're seeing your cellular signal is good a lot of the time, with no need for wifi calling.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Yeah. It’s on now. It seems my house doesn’t have the best signal service I have 3 bars of cell coverage that’s obviously why it turned on WiFi calling it went to 5 bars and it turned off dropped down to 3 again and stayed on it until now and still is.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Yeah but it would be nice to have WiFi calling regardless but I get good signal so it’s ok. I can force it on by using airplane mode

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but it would be nice to have WiFi calling regardless but I get good signal so it’s ok. I can force it on by using airplane mode

For what reason would you need to force it on, if your cellular signal is good? It's not better than cellular in any way.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Ok. Either way I find it useful when it does work due to its speed etc. my carrier is hopefully rolling out volte soon

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Ok so I emailed my carrier and got an email back from its senior head of mobile products. She quoted

“Hi Sam,

WiFi calling will work on very low bandwidth - the device will decide on the best connection for the call
Whichever connection is deemed to offer the best call quality will be selected for the call by the device

Thanks Sinead”

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So essentially the phone will decide whichever signal is stronger at the time and use that basically

Yep. So if the cellular signal is not good, then wifi calling kicks in. When my cellular signal is good, wifi calling doesn't kick in. Not on mine. Even if the wifi signal is better than a good cellular signal. Or I haven't noticed if it works that way.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
yeah. it seems to work that way and now thats its been confirmed by the head of mobile products for the carrier and people on here im happy its working as it should. it may have been working differently before and always on by pure coincidence maybe each time my wifi signal was simply stronger than ordinary cell signal

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2