Android to iPhone?

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been Android since OG Droid but I am tempted to switch from my LG V20 to a red iPhone 8+ because I like the screen ratio (new Androids have silly narrow screens) and because I would like to try out IOS. One concern is about buying an "old" model. Approximately when is the the next iPhone model expected? Will there be an 8+se or is the future all skinny ratio phones like the 10? I'm worried about paying full price for a nearly obsolete model?

I am switching from VZW to Xfinity Mobile in case that matters.

Thanks for your help

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I've been Android since OG Droid but I am tempted to switch from my LG V20 to a red iPhone 8+ because I like the screen ratio (new Androids have silly narrow screens) and because I would like to try out IOS. One concern is about buying an "old" model. Approximately when is the the next iPhone model expected? Will there be an 8+se or is the future all skinny ratio phones like the 10? I'm worried about paying full price for a nearly obsolete model?

I am switching from VZW to Xfinity Mobile in case that matters.

Thanks for your help

What?!! The 8 got released in September 2017, it’s far from obsolete and won’t be for MANY years to come.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
What?!! The 8 got released in September 2017, it’s far from obsolete and won’t be for MANY years to come.
I just meant if the 8+se comes out in August or September & has features I am jealous if I will feel foolish. Will there be an X+SE or 8+se THIS September? Is Sept the month the new model always comes out?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I just meant if the 8+se comes out in August or September & has features I am jealous if I will feel foolish. Will there be an X+SE or 8+se THIS September? Is Sept the month the new model always comes out?

For this September, there won’t be any alleged SE iPhones.

And yes, except for the X, which was released in November.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
So what comes THIS September? If nothing new coming before November I am inclined to buy now. A 10+ without a notch could be brilliant.

From what I am able to find searching rumors the 8+ will be the final 16/9 LCD model high end model. Rumors are all the new high end iPhones will be LED skinny ratio. If so my 8 plus red product may look old before its time.

I can find NO rumors about WHEN the next model will arrive. 😤

I'm totally torn....

Last edited:

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else have any insight on this? Is the LCD on the 8+ going to be obsolete before the 2 years of payments is up? For that matter will it be obsolete before 2019?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else have any insight on this? Is the LCD on the 8+ going to be obsolete before the 2 years of payments is up? For that matter will it be obsolete before 2019?

It depends how you define obsolete. The iPhone 8 will probably still get software updates and run most of the latest apps in two years' time. Smart phone technology doesn't move that fast any more, so it won't be too outdated in terms of features or specs. However it will still have the 16:9 screen which already looks old fashioned on an expensive phone. Even cheap phones now often have narrower screens.

Whether you care about that is up to you. 16:9 has advantages too, and 18:9 has disadvantages. For example, with an 18:9 screen you will be rotating the phone much more because landscape-format photos look tiny when the phone is vertical, and portrait-format photos look tiny when the phone is horizontal.

So yes, the iPhone 8 already looks old fashioned, and will probably look more old fashioned in two years' time. If you care about such things, bear in mind that most people can't tell the difference between an iPhone 8 and an iPhone 6 (from 2014), so the 8 is not much of a status symbol. However, from a practical perspective you might even prefer the 8. I guess it's a question of form versus function.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
So what comes THIS September? If nothing new coming before November I am inclined to buy now. A 10+ without a notch could be brilliant.

From what I am able to find searching rumors the 8+ will be the final 16/9 LCD model high end model. Rumors are all the new high end iPhones will be LED skinny ratio. If so my 8 plus red product may look old before its time.

I can find NO rumors about WHEN the next model will arrive. ??????

I'm totally torn....

Rumor has it that Apple is releasing 3 new iPhones in the fall. 5.8 and 6.5 inch OLED models. Those will be the higher end flagship models. A supposed midrange 6.1 LCD is also rumored. According to most rumors all will be the newer aspect ratio instead of 16:9 like the 8/8 Plus. All these phones are rumored to have the notch as well.

With that being said, your phone won't be obsolete for a few years if you opt for an 8 Plus. Apple is pretty good about providing software updates for older models. (The 5s from 2013 still got iOS 11). Of course those older models don't get every feature the newer phones get because of hardware limitations.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about my phone looking outdated as long as it does what I need it to do, and does it well. But that's something you have to decide for yourself.

I don't think the newer aspect ratios are going anywhere soon, so if you prefer the 16:9 ratio of the 8/8 Plus I say go for it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2