Why is apple not expanding the Apple News app to more countries

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Irish customers still havent got Apple News. Its been out a long time and since its release hasn't launched any other countries except uk us and Australia

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Next time I talk to Tim Cook I’ll be sure to ask why Apple News isn’t available in Ireland.🤪
Truthfully, nobody knows outside of Apple but I’m sure it has something to do with the complexity of required agreements between Apple and news sources in different areas of the world.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
A workaround could be to purchase an iPhone in the UK, and activate it there. That way the News app would be present, and I'd imagine work once in Ireland. Seems like a crazy workaround, but might work.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Oh, that's interesting and can see how that may not be ideal. I didn't realize changing region would impact other news apps. Although I do remember when last in UK my Apple News feed showing more UK based information. But I don't recall Flipboard doing the same. Will be back there in June, so will keep an eye on it to see what happens. Perhaps it depends on the news app(s). Hope Ireland and other countries get the News app. I do like it.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The weird thing about that is here in Japan I get Japanese news as a widget. But there’s no app. I’m still puzzled by that.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I get the widget too but no app. Apparently they’ve bought bought for magazine company and incorporating that into news perhaps they’re waiting for that and then they will spread it to more countries

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73