Deciding between buying an iPhone 7 and 8

I

iMore Question

Hi guys,

I need a new iPhone and trying to decide between the 7 and the 8. I'm leaning towards the 7 since I feel unsure about the 8's glass back. Do you think it could break easily, even with a case?

Also the 7 is a little thinner and lighter.

However I would like to keep the phone for 3 years before upgrading and wonder if the 7 will stay fast for that long and maybe it's better to get the 8. The camera in the 8 seems a lot better and the processor also.

Don't care for wireless charging. Just want to make sure my new phone stay fast for 3 years.

Would the 7 last this long? Better to go for 8?

Cheers guys,
Ben

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I need a new iPhone and trying to decide between the 7 and the 8. I'm leaning towards the 7 since I feel unsure about the 8's glass back. Do you think it could break easily, even with a case?

However I would like to keep the phone for 3 years before upgrading and wonder if the 7 will stay fast for that long and maybe it's better to get the 8. The camera in the 8 seems a lot better and the processor also.

Don't care for wireless charging. Just want to make sure my new phone stay fast for 3 years.

Cheers guys,
Ben

I love wireless charging so the 8 would be my choice. Plus it’s WAY faster than the 7. I have the X and love the glass back. To me it’s grippier (word?). Haha

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hi guys,

Cheers guys,
Ben

If you're worried about durability with a case I wouldn't worry that much about the 8 breaking. Of course that would depend on the case you choose.

Personally, I prefer the denser feel of the 8 over the 7.

In another 3 years the 7 will be pushing 4 yrs old. Apple currently still supports other devices at that age currently, but nobody can know for sure if Apple will keep doing that in the future. There are plenty of people currently using a 4 yr old device with little problem.

If cost isn't the issue with going with the 8 I would probably go for that, but that's just me. I tend to want the best I can buy at the time of purchase.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I prefer the True Tone Display of the 8 over the 7. However, the display on the 7 is by no means bad, and a difference can only be noticed when comparing both devices side by side.

Also, i prefer the 8’s glass back over the 7’s aluminum, as it is a little less slippery. However, still not enough for me to feel like using it without a case or at least a grippy dbrand skin.

On the other hand, aluminum feels more sturdy than glass.

The other differences don’t matter that much to me. Wireless charging takes forever, and I didn’t feel like the 7 was significantly slower due to the older processor.

So, if I wouldn’t have the 8 already, and as I feel like having to use a case or skin for both the 7 and 8 anyway, I would probably go for the 7, for cost savings reasons. The price premium of the 8 doesn’t really deliver for me.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

Cheers guys,
Ben

If money is not an issue, I would go for the 8. I say this because it's one year newer, and will last you for 3 years without issue. I have the 8 plus and am very happy. In all fairness to the 7, although I have no personal experience with a 7, I do believe it's a great phone. It's just one year older. Plus, the camera in the 8 is better too.

In regards to the glass back, as others have already replied, I wouldn't worry about it. I always suggest/advise to use a case with any phone.

Also, please consider registering with iMore... it's a great place, and you can learn, and share, a lot. You can also keep us posted on what you decide! Click here to learn more about signing up for iMore!

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
If you're going to keep it for 3 years, I'd get the iPhone 8. It's newer. The glass back probably won't break if you put it in a sturdy case. I have the SUPCASE and I've dropped my X a few times and it's always come out unscathed.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you’re planning on keeping the device for three years then I recommend you get the latest device. In this case, it would be the iPhone 8. As for the glass back, it’s not a weak glass, in my opinion, but it’s glass nonetheless. Keep in mind that the front of the iPhone 7 is also glass so the risk is there, regardless. Buy a case, don’t be a klutz, and don’t walk around always being afraid of breaking it. Do those things and you’ll be fine, in my opinion.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
If cost isn’t an issue, I say go with the 8. Both devices are great but the 8 will be supported longer. As far as durability goes, the 8 is just fine. I’m rolling naked & I haven’t had any issues. Putting a case on it will make it even more durable. Good luck & let us know what device you chose!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative