Which product Lines Should Apple retire?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
So you want the cheaper products to have better specs? But you feel the cheaper products are priced too high with the current specs? Cant have it both ways.

No, those are both logically the same thing. I want the cheaper products to have better specs. Correct. I think the current cheaper products are priced too high given their current specs. Correct. Think about it.

Im (sic) not sure you realize how big 14% worldwide actually is.

Well, 14% is not bad. It's better than 13% or 12%. But it's not as good as 15% or 16%. I don't think Apple should sit back and stop trying.

This was a thread to discuss what Apple should eliminate, not what you want to pay to be part of the Apple ecosystem. I have explained repeatedly why Apple would be foolish to eliminate the SE, as you suggested, and even why they have priced it and other devices the way they do. We have taken up enough of the thread on this nonsense. Its time to let the thread get back on topic.

This discussion could not be more on topic - i.e. what products should Apple retire.

I have never said that Apple should eliminate the SE (which is now over two years old). I have said that Apple should update or replace the SE. I think it's good to have a product at that price point. That's exactly what I am arguing - check my previous posts to confirm (and because they are a damn good read).

I have never said what I am prepared to pay to be part of Apple's ecosystem. I have said that their cheaper products could and should be better value, and more competitive compared to other phones at cheaper or similar prices.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
No, those are both logically the same thing. I want the cheaper products to have better specs. Correct. I think the current cheaper products are priced too high given their current specs. Correct. Think about it.

Well, 14% is not bad. It's better than 13% or 12%. But it's not as good as 15% or 16%. I don't think Apple should sit back and stop trying.

This discussion could not be more on topic - i.e. what products should Apple retire.

I have never said that Apple should eliminate the SE (which is now over two years old). I have said that Apple should update or replace the SE. I think it's good to have a product at that price point. That's exactly what I am arguing - check my previous posts to confirm (and because they are a damn good read).

I have never said what I am prepared to pay to be part of Apple's ecosystem. I have said that their cheaper products could and should be better value, and more competitive compared to other phones at cheaper or similar prices.

Good luck to you.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
what products should Apple retire.

Definitely not the SE or the 6s. My husband has the SE (his first iPhone), and we bought the 6s Plus for my adult son (also his first iPhone) this past x-mas. Having played with and used both of those phones I can say without a doubt that they're both phenomenal phones, and they have rock solid hardware. An Apple phone is built to last, and they generally do if taken care of.

Apple is smart giving everyone this many options to choose from. Apple will retire them from their website when people stop buying them so much.

Decided to add this as an afterthought;

iPhone SE 32GB; released March 31, 2016. Unlocked and still selling at Apple for $349 USD
Samsung Galaxy S7 32GB; released March 12, 2016. Unlocked and still selling at Samsung for.. wait for it....... $469.99 USD.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Definitely not the SE or the 6s.

What if Apple replaced them with better products for the same price?

Decided to add this as an afterthought;

iPhone SE 32GB; released March 31, 25016. Unlocked and still selling at Apple for $349 USD
Samsung Galaxy S7 32GB; released March 12, 2016. Unlocked and still selling at Samsung for.. wait for it....... $469.99 USD.

What do you conclude from this?

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Good luck to you.

Maybe putting it another way will help to explain my point.

My argument is essentially this:
It would be nice for customers if Apple made better products for the same price.

Let's generalise this statement, to avoid some obvious sensitivities without changing the logic:
It would be nice for customers if company X made better products for the same price.

Replace "company X" with any name you like - Samsung, Microsoft, Ford, Boeing, Apple, Hersheys, the second coffee shop on left on the town square in Timbuktu, etc. This statement is obviously true for any company anywhere in the world at any time in history.

It seems to me that you are arguing against this logic. This is what I have a problem understanding.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
What if Apple replaced them with better products for the same price?

Perhaps they will. Perhaps they will not. Begin another thread for that specific topic and see what everyone thinks.

What do you conclude from this?

That the iPhone SE is still a great phone that is obviously still making Apple money, and it's being offered at a competitive price point. There's no logical reason to retire a money maker unless the hardware can't keep up with the OS any more.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps they will. Perhaps they will not. Begin another thread for that specific topic and see what everyone thinks.

Given that this thread is about which lines Apple should retire, this seems like a good place to discuss it.

That the iPhone SE is still a great phone that is obviously still making Apple money, and it's being offered at a competitive price point. There's no logical reason to retire a money maker unless the hardware can't keep up with the OS any more.

How does the fact that a product is sold for a certain price imply anything about its sales or whether it still makes much money? The fact that it's for sale just indicates that some stock is left! My point is that Apple could sell more phones if they made better phones for the same price.

If we generalise this point to avoid sensitivities around Apple, we could say "company X could sell more products if they made those products better for the same price". Isn't this universally true for all companies everywhere at all times in history?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Given that this thread is about which lines Apple should retire, this seems like a good place to discuss it.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

You asked what I concluded from what I posted. I answered.

This entire conversation seems to be going in an endless loop of repetitive replies and doesn't appear to be moving forward in any type of interesting or positive direction.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Apple have around 14% market share for smart phones world wide. If they improve their cheaper products, they could win back some of the 86% they don't currently have.

And Apples 14% creates more revenue than the other 86%. That means their strategy is working.
Do I wish they made “better, cheaper” products? Sure, but will they if their current strategy is better than anyone else’s? Probably not unless people stop paying top dollar for their devices.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
And Apples 14% creates more revenue than the other 86%. That means their strategy is working.
Do I wish they made “better, cheaper” products? Sure, but will they if their current strategy is better than anyone else’s? Probably not unless people stop paying top dollar for their devices.

Maybe they could make even more money if they changed their strategy a little bit?
Also, is profit the only way to judge a product? The inventor of the wheel probably didn't make as much money as Tim Cook, but she certainly had more impact on humanity.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods