If the phone comes with welcoming screen, can it stilll hold spyware?

crazypete1

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
My iphone X was on repairs with my Mobile Carrier (there is no AppleStore in my country, but my mobile carrier is authorized by Apple, they hold my warranty and so on). Turned out it was softoware issue so they reinstalled the firmware.
I am paranoid guy. If the device came back with the white Welcome screen on it (meaning in my understanding it was factory restored), is it possible that it's somehow infected(spyware or something), even that its coming with the welcoming screen on? Is this possible. Because i read that they may hide jailbreak and apps in system and to erase the phone manually and those bugs can still remain. Atleast on android it can? Shall i worry, friend of mine told me to wipe everything on my own trhough itunes to be sure but i have zero idea how to, never synced to Itunes. I am freaking out..

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
My iphone X was on repairs with my Mobile Carrier (there is no AppleStore in my country, but my mobile carrier is authorized by Apple, they hold my warranty and so on). Turned out it was softoware issue so they reinstalled the firmware.
I am paranoid guy. If the device came back with the white Welcome screen on it (meaning in my understanding it was factory restored), is it possible that it's somehow infected(spyware or something), even that its coming with the welcoming screen on? Is this possible. Because i read that they may hide jailbreak and apps in system and to erase the phone manually and those bugs can still remain. Atleast on android it can? Shall i worry, friend of mine told me to wipe everything on my own trhough itunes to be sure but i have zero idea how to, never synced to Itunes. I am freaking out..

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the device is running the latest firmware then it isn't jailbroken as there isn't a jailbreak for the latest OS. If its starting at the welcome screen then its been wiped and there isn't anything on the phone and nothing is left over that can track you or spy on you.

But if it makes you feel better you can erase it again, and you don't need iTunes to do it. Just get past the first few screens (skip iCloud sign in and all of that) and wait for the phone to go to the home screen. Then go to settings-general-reset-erase all content and settings. It will completely wipe the device to where there is nothing left on it and you can set it up from there.

I don't think you need to do that but if it makes you feel better its a simple process to do.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm with Donnation on this one, it's extremely unlikely. NOW if you had sent it to a 3rd party retailer for repair I'd be a LITTLE more concerned, BUT your carrier should be fine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner