Do you agree that continuity of content through apps between devices is inefficient today?

niiti

Apr 19, 2018
Visit site
Instant continuity of content is not available through apps on different devices. Instant continuity is availability and use of a content supplied by an app when a user moves from one device to the other. The availability should be supported by immediate access when users switch between devices, instead of having users to look for the content every time the user moves between devices. Do you agree that its inefficient today?

A perfect continuity scenario between, lets say, Smartphone, TV & Car stereo rendering the same music app is:
As I listen to music on my smartphone and I walk into my living room, the music should be ready to be continued on my TV when I switch it on OR when I step into my car, my car stereo should be smart enough to pick up the music.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I thought this was already possible with Handoff. Admittedly, I do not use it as I don't see a need.... does this feature not work?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Instant continuity of content is not available through apps on different devices. Instant continuity is availability and use of a content supplied by an app when a user moves from one device to the other. The availability should be supported by immediate access when users switch between devices, instead of having users to look for the content every time the user moves between devices. Do you agree that its inefficient today?

A perfect continuity scenario between, lets say, Smartphone, TV & Car stereo rendering the same music app is:
As I listen to music on my smartphone and I walk into my living room, the music should be ready to be continued on my TV when I switch it on OR when I step into my car, my car stereo should be smart enough to pick up the music.

What if the TV is off? Do you expect your iPhone to automatically power it on as if the TV was made by Apple and then start playing your music? If so then it would still not be instant because the TV would need time to power on and then auto connect to the device. It would be the same with a vehicle. Continuity/handoff works well, in my experience, but the limitation is probably due to devices, ecosystems and proprietary rights.

Last edited:

niiti

Apr 19, 2018
Visit site
Yes Handoff could be a way, however, it's buggy, works on a few apple products and is not available on a TV or Car stereo. So the reach is very limited.
Wouldn't it be nice that the expensive devices we buy have such a simple user experience?

niiti

Apr 19, 2018
Visit site
Well if the TV was off, then as a user there was no intent to play the music on the TV. The devices should be smart enough to understand that you as a user switched on the TV and what was being played on your smartphone is readily available to resume, without wires or screen mirroring. What do think?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes Handoff could be a way, however, it's buggy, works on a few apple products and is not available on a TV or Car stereo. So the reach is very limited.
Wouldn't it be nice that the expensive devices we buy have such a simple user experience?

Yes, but Continuity is an Apple thing and only works certain Apple products. I think at some point, home automation will be able to do the things you’re seeking, but without an overall standard of some sort, I’m not sure that experience will transfer over to vehicles.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Well if the TV was off, then as a user there was no intent to play the music on the TV. The devices should be smart enough to understand that you as a user switched on the TV and what was being played on your smartphone is readily available to resume, without wires or screen mirroring. What do think?

No, I don't agree.

What if other people are watching that TV and don't want your music to take over their TV?
What if you want to watch the TV yourself while still playing your music on your phone?
What if you don't want the music to start automatically playing in your car?

niiti

Apr 19, 2018
Visit site
No, I don't agree.

What if other people are watching that TV and don't want your music to take over their TV?
What if you want to watch the TV yourself while still playing your music on your phone?
What if you don't want the music to start automatically playing in your car?

Yes that's a very valid point... What if the flow was to make music available on the TV and not play automatically... Only if the user accepts the need to resume, should the music resume? Assume no interruptions till the app is accessed by the user on the TV.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
This could be better in the one instance that I care about, and that is Kindle’s Whispersync which is, to put it mildly, iffy !!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77