The Otterbox (which isn't water resistant) was on. I took the case off. The phone was still working fine, but i took the sim card off, powered it off, then submerged it in a bag of silica kitty litter. What else should I do? How long should I leave it in there?
    04-14-2018 02:42 PM
    You should take it to an Apple Store as rice helping wet electronics is a myth.
    04-14-2018 02:46 PM
    Rice may work for areas close to the outside of the phone. But you risk a small piece of rice getting stuck in a port or other place that could damage components. Better is to use a desiccant like silicone packets. Most important is Do Not Turn On until dry. It's hit or miss. Depends on how much liquid got in the phone.
    04-14-2018 05:41 PM
    The Otterbox (which isn't water resistant) was on. I took the case off. The phone was still working fine, but i took the sim card off, powered it off, then submerged it in a bag of silica kitty litter. What else should I do? How long should I leave it in there?
    1. How long did the device stay in the water?
    2. Was the "phone" wet or just the Otterbox casing? If only the case was wet then I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, the information via the following link should be quite useful to you, in my opinion.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204104
    04-14-2018 05:43 PM
    You should take it to an Apple Store as rice helping wet electronics is a myth.
    Well I wouldn't say it's a myth, BUT it's not the panacea some folks think either. IF the amount of water in the device isn't TOO bad then it could work, as it DOES draw moisture. HOWEVER often the damage is already done. Better to use silica packs as D said, AND even better would be having it professionally done, which probably would include a cleaning with pure alcohol.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    04-16-2018 11:02 AM
    Well I wouldn't say it's a myth, BUT it's not the panacea some folks think either. IF the amount of water in the device isn't TOO bad then it could work, as it DOES draw moisture. HOWEVER often the damage is already done. Better to use silica packs as D said, AND even better would be having it professionally done, which probably would include a cleaning with pure alcohol.
    Yeah, they deoxidize contacts, which helps reviving the device.
    pkcable likes this.
    04-16-2018 11:05 AM