How does iPhone handle email folders?

I

iMore Question

Coming from BB10, the Hub lets me select which folders are sync'd to the main view.

My Outlook.com account has several folders and subfolders where server-side message rules automatically sort mail into various folders. I need this to keep things organized.

With the BB10 Hub, I don't have to go poking through folders to see what's come in, all the emails that get sorted into subfolders are displayed in a "flat" view, rather than hierarchically.

Not having used iOS much, I don't know if it too works this way. The Oulook.com app on Android certainly doesn't, and I have to go browsing through all the folders manually.

Importantly, I'm not talking about "notifications" here. I want a flat view of the contents of my email folders.

Thanks.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I’ve never needed to do sub folders in my inboxes so hold on a little while and one of our members should be by to assist you

Enjoy and Post Often

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I use the stock mail app. I am logged in to 4 different email accounts and have no issues accessing the folders for each account. Here's a screenshot:

mail folders.jpg

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I use the stock mail app. I am logged in to 4 different email accounts and have no issues accessing the folders for each account. Here's a screenshot:

View attachment 122493

I see in your Yahoo inbox you have a couple of folders showing - "111"" and "2010 NCA National"

There are messages in those folders. Can you get them to display in the "Inbox" view without having to drill down and open up each of those folders?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I see in your Yahoo inbox you have a couple of folders showing - "111"" and "2010 NCA National"

There are messages in those folders. Can you get them to display in the "Inbox" view without having to drill down and open up each of those folders?

On my iPhone, email comes to the inbox first, then I drop them in a folder if it's anything I want to keep. I can then open a folder to view them when I need to. I've never known mail to come in direct to folders. Exceptions being All Inboxes and Junk. I don't know of a way to move mail from folders to inbox like you want. There are options in Mail you might use. Tap edit in the top right to bring them all up.
c5af93782afbc007ad733a07937f4db3.jpg

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like my question has been answered: If I want to see the contents of subfolders, I have to drill down into them, I can't see them in a "flat" view like I can on BB10.

Sigh. Everything seems like a compromise.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like my question has been answered: If I want to see the contents of subfolders, I have to drill down into them, I can't see them in a "flat" view like I can on BB10.

Sigh. Everything seems like a compromise.

I guess it does take getting used to. You can view folders along side the inbox by turning the phone to landscape view.
542d84faeaf12a52d94534a2c60e364f.jpg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Sorry to take so long in answering... was at a late meeting last night and didn't catch up until just now. To answer your question, to see contents in a specific folder, I do have to tap on the folder.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW