Backing my ipad air up to icloud and my mail

Cherylkclark1

Feb 15, 2018
Visit site
I see a couple of posts but not a direct answer, I am needing to restart my Ipad and want to back up to the cloud. All is selected except mail and when I select it it wants me to open an icloud mail account. I use gmail and I am wondering what it will do to my mail. Will it just back everything up and then put it back the way it was when I restore? Do I ever really need to use the icloud mail acct for anything in the future. Just want to be clear about what I'm doing before I hit the go button.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore! I know that some people use their iCloud Mail but I do not. I have "Mail" toggled off. To do this, go to go to settings > tap your name > tap iCloud > scroll down to Mail and tap the toggle to off (it will be white).

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's how I back-up my iPad. I have it set up to automatic backup, so when my iPad is connected to Wi-Fi, and plugged in and the screen is locked, it will back up.

I can also start a back up manually. I go to Connect to Wi-Fi > go to settings > tap your name > tap iCloud > tap iCloud BackUp > tap Back Up Now

If you have further questions, check this out: Directions for backing up your iPad

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The information associated with your Google account - Gmail, contacts and calendars - is stored on Google’s servers and synced to devices on which you’ve signed in, and thus doesn’t need to be backed up.

Once you’ve reset your iPad, go to Settings -> Accounts & Passwords. Tap Add Account, then Google, then sign in with the user name and password of the Google account you’d like to sync. You should also be given the opportunity to select which information you’d like to sync to your phone.

I hope this helps!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you want to use the “iCloud” backup feature, you must have an iCloud account. With that being said, an iCloud backup typically backs up the email account information, but not the email itself.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If you want to use the “iCloud” backup feature, you must have an iCloud account. With that being said, an iCloud backup typically backs up the email account information, but not the email itself.

But if you're using Gmail or iCloud mail, it's imap anyway so you're mail will still be there regardless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR