Messages syncing iOS 11.3

I

iMore Question

Messages syncing? (self.iOS11)

submitted 11 hours ago by llllll_llllll

Hello,

Apple has enabled messages syncing in 11.3, but from what I've read so far, isn’t the new storing-all-messages-on-iCloud feature in iOS 11.3 more about syncing deletions across devices?

For example, phone A has x+y messages, phone B has y messages. If I turned on messages on iCloud, will phone B get the x messages from phone A, or will phone A loose the x messages that I've deleted from phone B?

I would appreciate it a lot if someone could help clarifying this.

(I have 2 phones, A and B, A for personal use and B, business purpose, both are using the same iCloud account, but I am planning to sell one because two is a bit redundant - I don't need anything else but the messages in the "A" phone to be available in the "B" phone without having to reset/backup or difficult manoeuvre, etc.)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Messages across iOS devices has been there for a long time. It is a one way sync. You should get messages sent to all the devices you have logged in to the same Apple ID and with messages enabled. For instance, my messages go to my iPhone, 2 iPads and 2 rMBP's.

What changed with Message Sync in 11.3 is that it is now a two way sync, so if I delete a message on my phone it will delete it from all my other devices.

The way I have it set up is my phone, iPads and one of my Macs have message cloud sync enabled. They all have the same messages. On my other Mac I have sync OFF so that is my archive of messages. That has a large SSD so I am not worried about running out of space.

Hopefully that helps you, if not feel to create an account and ask more questions about it.

gimmethewine

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Hi bamf-hacker,

Thanks for answering. I am new, as you can tell, and I thought I would have been asked to create an account in order to post this thread, which didn't happen.

Sorry I probably didn't explain my inquiry well. So I have 2 phones, one has all the messages minus my business messages, the other one has all the messages minus my personal messages. Yes, I manually deleted whatever doesn't fit in the category they should be in in each phone - this is somewhat time consuming and kinda dumb. Now I need them to merge in one phone. Is it possible with the new messages syncing feature in the new iOS 11.3 or no? Will the messages be merged first, and then I shall delete whatever I don't need, or will they just disappear since I have deleted them in either phone?

I hope this is clear enough. English is not my first language so sometimes I tend to clutter up my writing. Thanks for helping me out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234