I’m currently on iOS 11.2.2, but what version can I downgrade to on an iPhone 7 Plus?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Downgrade ios

Usually you can downgrade to any iOS version that is still signed by Apple. I don't recall exactly how far back they are going currently but if I recall, it's usually one or two versions previous.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

I read an article from back in October 2017 that said the following:

"Now that Apple has stopped signing iOS 10.3.3, it’s seemingly impossible for users to return to pre-iOS 11 firmware. This means that if you’re currently on an earlier version of iOS and wish to stay there, be sure you don’t accidentally update as there’s no way to downgrade."

Now if you made an iTunes backup from your computer and archived it so it wouldn't get deleted, you may be able to restore from that saved backup.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Now if you made an iTunes backup from your computer and archived it so it wouldn't get deleted, you may be able to restore from that saved backup.

Unfortunately, that doesn't revert the iOS version. Even if they were signing much older versions of iOS (and they were, for a few hours the other day. Accident? Perhaps), the OP would only be able to restore a backup as long as it was on that specific version the OP downgraded to. IE; revert to iOS 10 and you can only restore a backup that was made while on iOS 10.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

Unfortunately, that doesn't revert the iOS version. Even if they were signing much older versions of iOS (and they were, for a few hours the other day. Accident? Perhaps), the OP would only be able to restore a backup as long as it was on that specific version the OP downgraded to. IE; revert to iOS 10 and you can only restore a backup that was made while on iOS 10.

I'll go back and look at my notes, but I'm thinking that I was able to revert back to 10 when 11 came out. It was the beta program, which is why it might have worked.

FYI......memory IS the first thing to go when you get old.