How can I prevent text messages from disappearing?

QuezXLV

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I turn my iPhone off every night. When I turn it on in the morning, I usually have a text from my dad (who has an android) show up on my lock screen, which I can read before I first unlock my phone. Once I unlock my phone, his text disappears from the message app (the “1” badge also goes away) and it’s nowhere to be found. It will also disappear if I slide on the message on the lock screen to open the message app directly - it takes me to the massage app but his message is not there. This has been happening for several weeks now. Other texts/iMessages that I receive throughout the day don’t seem to be an issue. Has anyone seen this before, or know how to fix it?

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Not your typical disappearing text message question ...

Disappears from where? The lockscreen? From in the messages app? I think it's normal for the text to disappear from the lockscreen once you unlock it. If you did not tap on it, it should still show in notification center, if you have it set to show there.

QuezXLV

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

It disappears from the messages app. I’ve edited my original question to clarify.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Could he be using one of those apps that allows for an app to self-destruct when viewed? Snapchat, for example.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So it's only SMS messages you receive on the lockscreen. You read the message, then unlock the phone and the message is not in the messages app. That sound right? If so, try going to settings > Messages > Toggle iMessage off> wait a minute, and toggle it back on. If it persists, go back and toggle iMessage off again. Then sign out of iMessage and Facetime. Then sign back in to both. Toggle iMessage back on.
Do a hard reset (reboot). Which iPhone is it? Are you perhaps deleting the text on the lockscreen?

QuezXLV

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
It’s an iPhone 7 Plus with latest iOS. I am definitely not deleting it from the home screen.

I will try the unchecking/checking and log in/out of iMessage and see if that helps.

QuezXLV

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
It seems the only time my dad’s text messages disappear are when he sends me one when my phone is off. If he sends it and my phone is on, no issues. Very strange.

QuezXLV

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
My dad's texts are the ones where it happens most consistently; however, I've found at least one other text (that showed up on my iPad 2 but not my iPhone 7 Plus) that must have disappeared.

QuezXLV

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife’s iPhone 6 Plus has been off all day. When she turned it on this evening, she had some messages on the lock screen including an SMS and MMS message. When she unlocked her phone, those messages disappeared from the Message app. So now I know it’s not just my phone.

No one else is having an issue with messages dissappearing after turning on and unlocking your iphone? Or better yet, does anyone have a solution?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
No one else is having an issue with messages dissappearing after turning on and unlocking your iphone? Or better yet, does anyone have a solution?
I never turn my phone off, so no, I'm not having this issue.

Have you tried just using the "Do Not Disturb" mode at night instead of turning the phone off?

QuezXLV

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried just using the "Do Not Disturb" mode at night instead of turning the phone off?

That might prevent my messages from disappearing, but I’d really like to find a reason why and a solution for my messages disappearing after turning on and unlocking my phone.

QuezXLV

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
The troubleshooting continues - I sent a group message (included my wife) last night before bed then turned off my phone. Two people responded (which I could see on my wife’s phone), but I did not get/receive the responses on my phone once I turned it on. The group did include one non-iMessage person, so I wonder if that mattered. Even worse, I sent a reply to the group from my wife’s phone, while my phone is now on, and I didn’t get her response.

What is going on here?

lanark

Mar 25, 2018
Visit site
Hallelujah! This has been happening to me for weeks and this is the first time I’ve found someone else with the same issue. I feel validated!!! However I still have no solution. My son recently sent me 12 messages whilst phone switched off. They appeared as notifications on lock screen. Unlock go to messages. Hey presto not there!! Infuriating.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
To make sure that it is an iOS bug and is not being caused by a 3rd party app that you both share or some corrupt system files, try the following;

1: Make a full backup ; Settings > Tap on your info at the top > iCloud Backup > Backup Now
2: Factory reset the device: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
3: Set the device up as new and update any default apps (do not restore from backup, do not install any 3rd party apps)
4: Have that person who's messages are disappearing send you some texts while your device is powered off

If you are still having that same issue, report the bug here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p

Be sure to include all of the steps above that you took (steps 1 - 4) to troubleshoot before reporting the bug.

If the issue is gone, then its either a 3rd party app or corrupt system files. You'll have to decide whether or not you want to reinstall your backup because you might be adding it right back to the device with your restore.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox