How can I prevent text messages from disappearing?

TheJonnyK

May 13, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my iPhone 6. I've tried factory resetting twice and the issue persists. By any chance is anyone else with this problem on Sprint's network? I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my iPhone 6. I've tried factory resetting twice and the issue persists. By any chance is anyone else with this problem on Sprint's network? I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

Did you restore as new, or from a back up?

TheJonnyK

May 13, 2018
Visit site
Both, actually. First I tried restoring from a backup, then I tried restoring as new. The problem is still persisting as of today, and seems to even happen when my phone is on. Someone will tell me I never replied to a text, then I'll restart my phone and I'll have a bunch of text notifications on my lock screen with the phone numbers but no contact names. As soon as I unlock my phone, the notifications and messages completely disappear like they were never there at all. I've even tried using iMobie PhoneRescue date recovery software, but the messages are completely gone and I have no way of knowing who has been trying to text me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Both, actually. First I tried restoring from a backup, then I tried restoring as new. The problem is still persisting as of today, and seems to even happen when my phone is on. Someone will tell me I never replied to a text, then I'll restart my phone and I'll have a bunch of text notifications on my lock screen with the phone numbers but no contact names. As soon as I unlock my phone, the notifications and messages completely disappear like they were never there at all. I've even tried using iMobie PhoneRescue date recovery software, but the messages are completely gone and I have no way of knowing who has been trying to text me.

If it's a hardware issue, it might not be worth the repair on an iPhone 6. I would consider an upgrade.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Perform an iCloud backup, factory reset and set the phone up as new. Do not install any 3rd party apps or restore from backup. Make an appointment with the Genius Bar. They have diagnostic tools and can run tests on your phone, but your phone needs to be set up as new before they run their tests.

Tania V

Jun 13, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem and is so aggravating. The messages that come in while phone is off appear on lock screen and then poof, no where to be seen again.

Someone upthread suggested to turn on the Notification option ‘Show in history’. I did last night after it happened AGAIN and this AM I saw the message that I lost appeared.

Crystal Knightshade

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
Same..... If my phone is powered down some of the messages that come in show up on the lock screen (number only without the contact info) but are not there in my message app. I have an iphone 6 and Verizon is my carrier. I didn't notice this problem until i ported my number to a new carrier. I thought maybe it might have something to do with number porting but after reading this maybe that is not the issue. I don't use the imessage part of messages, it has always been turned off.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Same..... If my phone is powered down some of the messages that come in show up on the lock screen (number only without the contact info) but are not there in my message app. I have an iphone 6 and Verizon is my carrier. I didn't notice this problem until i ported my number to a new carrier. I thought maybe it might have something to do with number porting but after reading this maybe that is not the issue. I don't use the imessage part of messages, it has always been turned off.

Why do you not use iMessage? Have you tried toggling it on?

Crystal Knightshade

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
I use to have a lot of issues with it years ago between my devices and i just quit using it. Its been like 5 years or so since i stopped using it but thought i would throw that stuff out there in case that might determine or eliminate a common link.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use to have a lot of issues with it years ago between my devices and i just quit using it. Its been like 5 years or so since i stopped using it but thought i would throw that stuff out there in case that might determine or eliminate a common link.

I would think it's improved in 5 years. It has a lot of new cool features. And there's folks here to help. Not sure about the vanishing messages. I never had that issue. What have you tried to fix it?

Crystal Knightshade

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
Thanks and i might check out iMessage again at some point i am certain it has improved...but i would still like to have my texts show up where they are suppose to be even if i doin't choose to use iMessage. Its very frustrating because i know if i let my phone die i will lose any messages that come in during that time. I have no idea how to fix that and it seems i am not the only one with that issue.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks and i might check out iMessage again at some point i am certain it has improved...but i would still like to have my texts show up where they are suppose to be even if i doin't choose to use iMessage. Its very frustrating because i know if i let my phone die i will lose any messages that come in during that time. I have no idea how to fix that and it seems i am not the only one with that issue.

Maybe it has to do with porting your number. Have you reached out to your carrier for help? You could try Reset All Settings.

Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.
If that doesn't work, try restoring as new, not from a back up.

Catdelaney

Sep 18, 2018
Visit site
I have the same issue of my texts being on the lock screen when I turn my phone back on but having them not there when I go to the app. Has anyone found a solution to this problem??

lyh

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
I've been having the exact same problem since the upgrade to iOS 10.3 in Sep 2017 (I'm using an iPhone 5C, so iOS11 wasn't an option): I turn my phone off at night and when I turn it on in the morning messages that came in during the night appear on the lockscreen, but disappear from my Messages app once I unlock the phone.

I tried everything – backing, hard reset, soft reset, turning iMessage on and off – to no avail.

Then I tried what someone suggested here:

1. Go to Settings > Notifications > Messages
2. Toggle off 'Show in Notification Centre' (or 'Show in History' in iOS11)
3. Turn off your phone and turn it on again.
4. Toggle on 'Show in Notification Centre ('Show in History')

So far it's got the problem licked. Am keeping my fingers crossed.

dryve

Sep 28, 2018
Visit site
So I just noticed this issue a few weeks ago. I have always kept my iPhone 7s on but a few times the battery has gone dead over night. When I charge a text notification appears on the lock screen when I go to messages ( not a 3rd party) there is no notification no message.

Happened today and I find that when I went to settings —-> Apple ID —-> iCloud Unde apps using iCloud. Messages was not selected. I selected it then turned the phone off. I then had someone with an android send me a message. When I powered the phone back on the message was actually there.
Hope this is helpful.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2