I’m up for an upgrade so which iPhone should I get?

B-Chatman

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone. Hope everything is well for everyone. I am due for an upgrade soon.
I’m wondering which IPhone I should get. I had an IPhone 5s previously & I had to get a replacement cause the 5s wouldn’t take the new update of IOS 11.
The replace to phone is a SE. I’m not very impressed with it. So now I’m looking at the pros & cons of the newer phones from 6-X.

Thank You In Advance for the help/opinions.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: IPhone Upgrade

Hello everyone. Hope everything is well for everyone. I am due for an upgrade soon.
I’m wondering which IPhone I should get. I had an IPhone 5s previously & I had to get a replacement cause the 5s wouldn’t take the new update of IOS 11.
The replace to phone is a SE. I’m not very impressed with it. So now I’m looking at the pros & cons of the newer phones from 6-X.

Thank You In Advance for the help/opinions.

Welcome to iMore.

Personally I would look at the iPhone 8 or iPhone X. I realize there is going to be a price difference but I would do it so it last me a few years if that's your plans. I have owned the 8 Plus and currently use the iPhone X. Heck of an amazing device the X is. But the 8 is no slouch either. There are some differences though between the two phones. The X will give you gestures for moving around on the phone, Face ID, a better camera. All apps are pretty much optimized for either phones.

My suggestion would be to go to a store such as Apple or Bestbuy and try them both side by side and see what will best suit your needs. If you are a very basic user I suggest saving money and go with the 8. If you want the latest and greatest, are a power user and can afford it go with the X. The X is a beast when it comes to using the phone. It is definitely faster than the 8 as it was faster than my 8 Plus. I enjoy the size factor a lot. Not a plus size but not as small as the 8 either. Still fits easily in my pockets. Little heavier than the 8 but not as overwhelming as the 8 Plus. I find it to be the perfect size for me.

Thanks!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Welcome to iMore.

Personally I would look at the iPhone 8 or iPhone X. I realize there is going to be a price difference but I would do it so it last me a few years if that's your plans. I have owned the 8 Plus and currently use the iPhone X. Heck of an amazing device the X is. But the 8 is no slouch either. There are some differences though between the two phones. The X will give you gestures for moving around on the phone, Face ID, a better camera. All apps are pretty much optimized for either phones.

My suggestion would be to go to a store such as Apple or Bestbuy and try them both side by side and see what will best suit your needs. If you are a very basic user I suggest saving money and go with the 8. If you want the latest and greatest, are a power user and can afford it go with the X. The X is a beast when it comes to using the phone. It is definitely faster than the 8 as it was faster than my 8 Plus. I enjoy the size factor a lot. Not a plus size but not as small as the 8 either. Still fits easily in my pockets. Little heavier than the 8 but not as overwhelming as the 8 Plus. I find it to be the perfect size for me.

Thanks!

I agree completely with this post. Both the 8 and the X are incredible and offer great features. Looking at them online can give you a lot of information but there's nothing like holding them in your hands and talking to someone about each of them.

Also, welcome to iMore. If you have not already, you might want to take a couple of moments and post an introduction in the forum for New Members.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
IPhone Upgrade

Welcome to iMore

I see your looking at the Six and above so don’t rule out the SE as it has the processing power of the 6s

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I agree completely with this post. Both the 8 and the X are incredible and offer great features. Looking at them online can give you a lot of information but there's nothing like holding them in your hands and talking to someone about each of them.

Also, welcome to iMore. If you have not already, you might want to take a couple of moments and post an introduction in the forum for New Members.

The iPhone 5S is compatible with iOS 11 so it should have installed for you. With that in mind, if you’re going to upgrade and keep the device for at least 2 years then you might as well get at least an iPhone 8. If you’re buying a device outright, I recommend the iPhone 7 or newer. If money’s not an problem then spring for the iPhone X. Good luck with whichever you decide to choose.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to iMore!
I would also like to recommend the iPhone 7 or the iPhone 8. Both are great devices that’s capable of lasting for a few more years into the future.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

I would recommend the iPhone 8 Plus. If you are ok with its dimensions, I think it is the most balanced iPhone for this year.
The iPhone X is very nice, for sure, but is has some drawbacks.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I would recommend the iPhone 8 Plus. If you are ok with its dimensions, I think it is the most balanced iPhone for this year.
The iPhone X is very nice, for sure, but is has some drawbacks.

Agreed.
The 8 Plus offers a dual camera system and superb battery life.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’m admittedly biased towards the 8 Plus... but both are great phones. This is a “nice problem” to have! You have a choice between two great phones!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I don’t feel like you can go wrong with any of the iPhones that are available now. If you plan on keeping the device for a few years, then I would go with a 7 or newer. Good luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2