What has happened to common sense and common courtesy?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I move between Android Central and iMore. I see this all the time as a Mod. This is why Mobile Nations has separate forums. Find the forum that works for you and use it to be productive. Common sense dictates that you don't discuss android in an Apple forum just as you would not discuss Apple devices in an android forum. I think you are being very reasonable.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with that. I believe some individuals do join a thread/comment section just to antagonize and nothing more. They aren't looking to add anything of any value of forward the topic in any way at all. That's a mentality I will never understand.

You see it on the AC side something awful. Say the topic is on a phone from LG. There's always someone that's just gotta post why they have some other brand of phone and why it's better. They don't own an LG, never even used one for that matter, and yet they go out of their way to hunt down that thread and share why their choice is "better".

I'll never understand it. I mean, who even has that kind of time to waste?

Neither will I...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I move between Android Central and iMore. I see this all the time as a Mod. This is why Mobile Nations has separate forums. Find the forum that works for you and use it to be productive. Common sense dictates that you don't discuss android in an Apple forum just as you would not discuss Apple devices in an android forum. I think you are being very reasonable.

Thank you, sir....

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
May I just add that I hate how people use the word “fanboy”. It just sounds ridiculous and childish. People who go out of their way to talk like that don’t appear to have any type of social skills, in my opinion. Regardless of which side you’re on.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
May I just add that I hate how people use the word “fanboy”. It just sounds ridiculous and childish. People who go out of their way to talk like that don’t appear to have any type of social skills, in my opinion. Regardless of which side you’re on.

I can make any smartphone work for me, but the iPhone fits me and my smartphone needs perfectly. Still, I have enough common sense to understand that the iPhone does not fit everyone’s smartphone needs and therefore, I’m not going to waste my time trying to get others to feel the way I feel about it. In addition, I’m too respectful of others to go into a forum dedicated to non-Apple products to talk about the iPhone, but that’s Just Me, D....

kcox52692

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
My life is not defined by what people think or say. I'd pretty much ignore the person. Then again, I guess it's pretty much like going to McDonald's and spouting off how much you like Burger King.

For me, I used to be an Android only guy but now my active phone is my 2nd iPhone. 6s 128gb. I quite like it. Also have an iPad Air 2. Typing this on my LG G5 though. 😀

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Some people are just contrary! There are a few of those in my family, and while it’s irksome, over time I’ve learned to shrug it off... most of the time anyway! Some of them aren’t even aware that they do it. But deliberately stirring the pot, no matter what the topic is rude.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I can make any smartphone work for me, but the iPhone fits me and my smartphone needs perfectly. Still, I have enough common sense to understand that the iPhone does not fit everyone’s smartphone needs and therefore, I’m not going to waste my time trying to get others to feel the way I feel about it. In addition, I’m too respectful of others to go into a forum dedicated to non-Apple products to talk about the iPhone, but that’s Just Me, D....

And what does that have to do with my post exactly?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In addition to my original post in this thread, I’ll also throw in the members who only show up when there’s a controversy. They show up, boldly spread their hatred and disdain, attempt to shame anyone who dare share an opposing view or let it be known that they don’t care, and then they disappear to their home forum, wherever the heck that is. I guess the old adage is true - To build one’s self up, another have to be torn down.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Here goes D, stirring up controversy again.
Great points though. I think the majority of forum users are open-minded, kind people who are here to have a positive impact and share thoughts and experiences. And then there’s a minority group who seem to get their jollies by trolling forums and fueling fires. They don’t bother me. I’m more concerned about the experience other good users are having.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In addition to my original post in this thread, I’ll also throw in the members who only show up when there’s a controversy. They show up, boldly spread their hatred and disdain, attempt to shame anyone who dare share an opposing view or let it be known that they don’t care, and then they disappear to their home forum, wherever the heck that is. I guess the old adage is true - To build one’s self up, another have to be torn down.

Or those who show up a few weeks before a new iPhone release and post up until release, then disappear until the next year. No objection to it, just seems odd.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Or those who show up a few weeks before a new iPhone release and post up until release, then disappear until the next year. No objection to it, just seems odd.

That normal to me. There’s always hype around iPhone releases and people want to get in on it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Some people just have hate in their hearts. It's the only way they can keep warm during the cold months.

Haters are going to hate and be disrespectful. Take 'em with a grain of salt and smile from the wrists down.......even if you're mumbling something under your breath. That's allowed. :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Here goes D, stirring up controversy again.
Great points though.
(Laughing)...Thank you.
I think the majority of forum users are open-minded, kind people who are here to have a positive impact and share thoughts and experiences. And then there’s a minority group who seem to get their jollies by trolling forums and fueling fires. They don’t bother me. I’m more concerned about the experience other good users are having.
I agree.