What has happened to common sense and common courtesy?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You wouldn’t typically join a club devoted to the color red just to discuss how much you prefer the color blue. That would be totally disrespectful to the current club and its members. Although they may also like the color blue, this isn’t the place for them to discuss it. To me, that makes sense!

With that in mind, why join a forum known to be devoted to Apple products and services just to continue discussing how much you prefer a non-Apple product. That’s totally disrespectful to the forum and its members, and although we may also enjoy using non-Apple products & services, this isn’t the place to overly discuss it. To me, that makes sense! That’s common sense and it’s common decency.

Then again, this is 2017 where true is now false, good is now bad and right is now wrong.....

Am I being unreasonable?

Last edited:

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I think it makes perfect sense and it should be enforced more often!

There’s a line that should be respected.
It’s okay to use non-Apple products but don’t come here bashing Apple and calling forum members iSheeps.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't bother me what people post either way, I believe this is an open forum for all. So you are being a little bit unreasonable. Just my opinion of course

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't bother me what people post either way, I believe this is an open forum for all. So you are being a little bit unreasonable. Just my opinion of course

No harm done, and I do respect your opinion....

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I used to enjoy reading iMore’s articles, and comments sections of those articles a lot more - but, it feels to me that within the past 18 months or so that there’s evolved a dedicated group of about a half dozen or so ‘commenters’ on the blog that routinely/only post negative, or outright disparaging comments about any good, or even slightly positive news re: Apple. And if you should happen to defend or rebuff their (imo) negative comments their ad hominem begins: your called terms like ‘Apple Bot’ ‘Little Rene’ or an ‘apologist.’
One article about the iPhone X had one of these ‘commenters’ calling people interested in, or actually thinking of purchasing one as ‘mindless’ and ‘blind.’
If Apple/iMore is not your thing, great - more power to you, and whatever works for you. So, why then keep coming to an Apple centric blog to talk down Apple, and a site or blog’s writers, if your interests are elsewhere...
Sounds like a word that begins with a ‘t’ and ends with a ‘roll.’

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I think it makes perfect sense and it should be enforced more often!

There’s a line that should be respected.
It’s okay to use non-Apple products but don’t come here bashing Apple and calling forum members iSheeps.

Totally agree with you on the name calling, uncalled for.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If Apple/iMore is not your thing, great - more power to you, and whatever works for you. So, why then keep coming to an Apple centric blog to talk down Apple, and a site or blog’s writers, if your interests are elsewhere...
Sounds like a word that begins with a ‘t’ and ends with a ‘roll.’
That statement is crystal clear, and I’m in total agreement with it........Having said that, we don’t have any problems with people joining the iMore Forums to discuss the numerous threads related to iMore and Apple. I respect the people of Android Central and other Android-related forums way too much to go on their turf and make constant mention of the iPhone.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This is absolutely spot on and well said. Trolls are everywhere in this day and age and it’s disheartening.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I don't think any site/forum can escape trolls. I mean, there are Apple trolls on the AC side as well. It's internet, what can ya do?

I do think there is space for debate/discussion on topics. It often leads to a perspective on topics we may have not had before. However, counterpoints have to be made in order for that to happen. As long as that's done in a civil manner, I say everyone should be welcome. If name calling, prejudices and an unwillingness to acknowledge a different point of exist, well, civil discourse can fall apart... no matter the club.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think any site/forum can escape trolls. I mean, there are Apple trolls on the AC side as well. It's internet, what can ya do?

I do think there is space for debate/discussion on topics. It often leads to a perspective on topics we may have not had before. However, counterpoints have to be made in order for that to happen. As long as that's done in a civil manner, I say everyone should be welcome. If name calling, prejudices and an unwillingness to acknowledge a different point of exist, well, civil discourse can fall apart... no matter the club.

Although I agree in theory, some conversations should either not take place or be done in a manner to not disrespect the host site. It’s like getting drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers and then showing up to work saying how committed you are to the Dallas Cowboys. Nothing good will come out of it.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Although I agree in theory, some conversations should either not take place or e done in a manner to not disrespect the host site. It’s like getting drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers and then showing up to work saying how committed you are to the Dallas Cowboys. Nothing good will come out of it.

I agree with that. I just think sometimes I question if everyone involved is being mature in their engagement.

You know, I see your a Hurricanes fan. I'm an SEC man myself. Now I'm sure we could have some interesting conversations about college football in a civil way. However there are some that will "go to blows" so to speak over that same topic. I think it's more a reflection of them and their lack of maturity than the topic itself.

If I'm a Steelers fan, I should be able to talk my family to a Cowboys hangout and enjoy a meal without harassment. But, the one drunk die-hard Cowboy's fan will probably feel he's entitled to harass us because he's in "his" hangout. It's his lack of maturity that's the issue, not me being a Steelers fan, IMO.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with that. I just think sometimes I question if everyone involved is being mature in their engagement.

You know, I see your a Hurricanes fan. I'm an SEC man myself. Now I'm sure we could have some interesting conversations about college football in a civil way. However there are some that will "go to blows" so to speak over that same topic. I think it's more a reflection of them and their lack of maturity than the topic itself.

If I'm a Steelers fan, I should be able to talk my family to a Cowboys hangout and enjoy a meal without harassment. But, the one drunk die-hard Cowboy's fan will probably feel he's entitled to harass us because he's in "his" hangout. It's his lack of maturity that's the issue, not me being a Steelers fan, IMO.

Excellent point....

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think most people on the MoNa forums are fairly respectful. I'm sure I've gone over the line as many others have at some point. Most of us are passionate about tech so we get a little overboard from time to time. Usually those who go over the line are reprimanded or banned. The mods are pretty good about keeping things in control.

The comments on articles are a completely different story though. On both MoNa sites I visit regularly (AC and iMore) the comments sections can get almost as bad as BGR. I often see the same users arguing and egging each other on. Occasionally they are people that are rational and reasonable on the forums, but are down right awful on the comments sections.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I know this is off topic, but I'd like to give a big thank you for too many to name around here for being so friendly! I have back and forth conversations with some of you guys more than I talk to my own family. Even though I take time off from time to time it's so nice to be a part of the iMore/MoNa family. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't...sometimes we even argue...we share photos, we share ideas and beliefs that don't always match up. But that's what family does!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I know this is off topic, but I'd like to give a big thank you for too many to name around here for being so friendly! I have back and forth conversations with some of you guys more than I talk to my own family. Even though I take time off from time to time it's so nice to be a part of the iMore/MoNa family. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't...sometimes we even argue...we share photos, we share ideas and beliefs that don't always match up. But that's what family does!

Thank you very much, sir...

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Completely unreasonable ! in any hundred members you'll get some that don't understand,some that won't understand and that kid that lives under the basement steps !!
Happy Holidays to all.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Completely unreasonable ! in any hundred members you'll get some that don't understand,some that won't understand and that kid that lives under the basement steps !!
Happy Holidays to all.

We all have a portion of common sense, albeit some have more than others, but to practice common decency is a choice. Even the worst among us know that some lines shouldn’t be crossed. In my personal opinion, I am very skeptical of those who enter the red forum to praise the blue as anything but deliberate.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
We all have a portion of common sense, albeit some have more than others, but to practice common decency is a choice. Even the worst among us know that some lines shouldn’t be crossed. In my personal opinion, I am very skeptical of those who enter the red forum to praise the blue as anything but deliberate.

I agree with that. I believe some individuals do join a thread/comment section just to antagonize and nothing more. They aren't looking to add anything of any value of forward the topic in any way at all. That's a mentality I will never understand.

You see it on the AC side something awful. Say the topic is on a phone from LG. There's always someone that's just gotta post why they have some other brand of phone and why it's better. They don't own an LG, never even used one for that matter, and yet they go out of their way to hunt down that thread and share why their choice is "better".

I'll never understand it. I mean, who even has that kind of time to waste?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner