Merry Christmas or happy holidays?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Which are “you” more likely to say? Merry Christmas or happy holidays?

Me? Merry Christmas

mattguy10

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
Depends on the day. Sometimes Merry Christmas & sometimes Happy Holidays. If I had to choose one, I’d say Merry Christmas comes out more. This usually starts at the beginning of December for me, so that’s why I say it depends on the day lol

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Not looking to cause trouble here- I say happy holidays. Not everyone celebrates Christmas. I don’t. I celebrate Chanukah. Happy Holidays encompasses everyone.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not looking to cause trouble here- I say happy holidays. Not everyone celebrates Christmas. I don’t. I celebrate Chanukah. Happy Holidays encompasses everyone.

I know you’re not looking to cause trouble, my friend...... Anyway, when I say Merry Christmas, I’m thinking of good things and wishing good things upon you, regardless of your beliefs. Some may resent hearing Merry Christmas just like I resent hearing happy holidays, however, I know the person who is saying it means well. I mean well when I say Merry Christmas.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I prefer Merry Christmas, but not everyone celebrates Christmas the same. So, Happy Holidays is more appropriate.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I prefer Merry Christmas, but not everyone celebrates Christmas the same. So, Happy Holidays is more appropriate.

Although I understand what you mean, I’m in disagreement. Various Americans will stand boldly and profess that we are a nation of all races and religions and we have a country where we all can practice our faith in peace. Well, many in my faith say Merry Christmas. With that in mind, I’m amazed at how December 25th is still known as Christmas Day and believers and non-believers alike (not all) go about the season shopping, taking vacation, trying to get together with loved ones to exchange gifts, fellowship, and enjoy the day. In other words, doing the things we’ve always done, with the exception of changing from saying Merry Christmas to saying happy holidays. That just blows my mind.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Although I understand what you mean, I’m in disagreement. Various Americans will stand boldly and profess that we are a nation of all races and religions and we have a country where we all can practice our faith in peace. Well, many in my faith say Merry Christmas. With that in mind, I’m amazed at how December 25th is still known as Christmas Day and believers and non-believers alike (not all) go about the season shopping, taking vacation, trying to get together with loved ones to exchange gifts, fellowship, and enjoy the day. In other words, doing the things we’ve always done, with the exception of changing from saying Merry Christmas to saying happy holidays. That just blows my mind.

I respect your opinion.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I generally don't say either, but reply with whichever I get. I prefer happy holidays over merry Christmas personally because I'm not religious. I honestly love this time of year and all the festivities, but am conflicted because I don't necessarily have the beliefs of why most people celebrate. I sorta feel like people should be giving, cordial and celebratory all year.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Good morning to you all. Today is “Christmas” Day so I’d like to take a moment to wish each of you a very Merry “Christmas”!