Merry Christmas or happy holidays?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I generally don't say either, but reply with whichever I get. I prefer happy holidays over merry Christmas personally because I'm not religious. I honestly love this time of year and all the festivities, but am conflicted because I don't necessarily have the beliefs of why most people celebrate. I sorta feel like people should be giving, cordial and celebratory all year.

I agree with you. So many wars are started because of differing religions beliefs and arguing about words. What we should be doing is respecting people and their differences 24/7/365. The world would be a much better place.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Up until a few years ago, just about everyone said Merry Christmas. I don't recall anyone saying they were offended. But then along came the PC warriors claiming it offensive. And I found that very offensive. No one is going to tell me I can't say Merry Christmas. I will, and I do. If they can't take it in the spirit that's intended, that's their problem. Happy Holidays sounds like a commercial department store sign, without meaning. I'm not offended when someone says Happy Hanukkah. I take it in the spirit intended. I have Jewish friends who tell me Merry Christmas, and in return I tell them Happy Hanukkah. To me, it's all about the spirit of peace, love, and joy. And Happy Holidays just doesn't convey that message as well as Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or other sentiments from specific faiths. There are 14 major religious holidays celebrated in December. I respect them all.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.de...-holidays-believers-celebrate-in-December.amp

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Christmas has come and gone, but I had to share this. Even my liberal democrat friends thought it funny.

To my Democrat friends:
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2018, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other countries nor the only "America" in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishes.

To my Republican friends:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If I know the person celebrates Xmas then Merry Christmas, if I don't know then Happy Holidays

Umbrokhan

Dec 24, 2017
Visit site
I say happy holidays because I don't believe Jesus is Son of God. and I also don't believe Jesus was born on 25th December.
P.S. Not looking to cause trouble here
anyway Happy New year in advance !

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I say happy holidays because I don't believe Jesus is Son of God. and I also don't believe Jesus was born on 25th December.
P.S. Not looking to cause trouble here
anyway Happy New year in advance !

I asked for opinions and you’ve given yours. No harm done.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner