Grandma Just Passed Away. Help retrieve photos

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I just got word my Grandmother Passed Away suddenly tonight. I had a bunch of pictures on my old iPhone of my last trip back to see her and I did an iTunes backup not long after to my MacBook. The phone died on me a month or so later and I just setup the new one as new since I was not at home and needed the phone then never got around to restoring.

I believe that was back on iOS 9 or 10 and my current phone and iPad Pro are updated to the latest software. I think I have an opportunity now though as I bought my daughter a used iPad mini with iOS 9 on it.

—Can I restore from that backup to that ipad, retrieve the pics and save to a folder on my pc then wipe it for her to use?
—-Does it have to be an iPhone to restore from an iPhone backup?

—Will that somehow mess up my photos on my current phone and ipad through iCloud? So should I have them turned off or in airplane mode?

Thanks.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you.
Kinda what I thought. Might be worth buying a used bad condition one just to get the pics. Any way to tell by the backup file name what iOS version it actually was?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you.
Kinda what I thought. Might be worth buying a used bad condition one just to get the pics. Any way to tell by the backup file name what iOS version it actually was?

I’m not quite sure.. From what I know, it’ll only tell the date of the backup and the device.
Hopefully, someone else will be able to help you out very soon.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
First of all, I’m sorry for your loss.
Secondly, you CAN restore an iPad from an iPhone backup but I don’t believe camera roll photos will be restored. At least that has been the case in the past.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I’ve had it on the back burner as I’ve been super busy with work. My plan is to looks for a cheap broken screen older iPhone and see if I can restore via that backup. Then save the photos to my pc.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I’ve had it on the back burner as I’ve been super busy with work. My plan is to looks for a cheap broken screen older iPhone and see if I can restore via that backup. Then save the photos to my pc.

Why not sign in to your account on your daughter's iPad? You might not have to back up, if the pics are on the camera roll.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234