Should I be worried about a ‘custom jailbreak’ setting on my iPhone 7?

rjcs56

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday when I fired up my iPhone 7, it was totally unresponsive to commands. Screen would lock up, then change to an app, then lock up again, ad Infinitum. It wouldn’t allow me to turn it off for nearly 15 minutes of trying. Finally it did shut down. I let it sit for a few minutes and turned it back on. Everything’s apparently normal now. But the whole incident got me wondering it it had a virus. I went to my settings and I found something that causes me concern: a setting that says “custom jailbreak” followed by a series of red bulleted items I don’t recognize.

Should I be worried? Is this normal? Please help!

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: iPhone 7 troubles and jailbreak

Definitely not normal.
Did you jailbreak your phone?
If not, do you recall that day’s browsing activity?

Do you have a screenshot?

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site

Are you sure your iPhone is not a counterfeit one, or have you jailbroken it? It’s mostly either one of them.

rjcs56

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site

Definitely not normal.
Did you jailbreak your phone?
If not, do you recall that day’s browsing activity?

Do you have a screenshot?

No. I didn’t jail break it. Don’t even know how. My browsing is pretty constant—news and tech sites. No new download of apps.

I’ve searched and searched but now can’t find the jailbreak word in settings.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

No. I didn’t jail break it. Don’t even know how. My browsing is pretty constant—news and tech sites. No new download of apps.

I’ve searched and searched but now can’t find the jailbreak word in settings.

If you didn’t jailbreak your iPhone then I would quickly put the device in recovery or DFU mode and restore it, if I were you. Afterwards, I would set it up as a new device because restoring from a backup would more than likely restore the setting and problems.

rjcs56

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site

Are you sure your iPhone is not a counterfeit one, or have you jailbroken it? It’s mostly either one of them.

I purchased the iPhone 7 new at an AT & T corporate store. I’d think it would be “clean”.

Can a hacker remotely jailbreak a phone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I purchased the iPhone 7 new at an AT & T corporate store. I’d think it would be “clean”.

Not that I’m aware of.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

No. But glitches like that happen from time to time. I would do the restore. It's probably a software bug. It may never happen again, but then it might.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

No. But glitches like that happen from time to time. I would do the restore. It's probably a software bug. It may never happen again, but then it might.

"a setting that says “custom jailbreak” followed by a series of red bulleted items" that suddenly shows up in the settings of the phone is a "glitch" or software "bug"? I think not.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox