Movie/tv show database

I

iMore Question

In trying to free up physical space, I've been digitizing my DVD collection. Now I'd like a way to organize the files. I had read
https://www.imore.com/how-digitize-your-dvd-collection
the question I have is on a recommendation for an application to catalog them. Not to play/stream them, just to keep them organized and to quickly and easily look over my catalog; for playing, I'm fine if the application just tosses the files to QuickTime.
The article mentions using iTunes and Plex, but I find iTunes to be a bloated mess, and I don't want to have to create a Plex account just to play my titles locally--I'm not sure if I'll even stream them over my LAN, just play them on the Mac I'm on.

The biggest problem is that, of the applications I've seen (Cinematica, Filmotech, etc.), they all seem to choke on TV shows, where the Title field only identifies the episode's name; it's the series name that's actually more important, followed by season number and episode name. I want something that is aware of all those things.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

I'm going to recommend creating an account and use Plex. I use it for my DVD collection and it works great. I have over 1100 movies in Plex and it does such a great job of organizing my collection. Seriously check it out. Thanks.

Scott_AR

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
Well, I installed Plex; I wanted to give it a try for a few days before giving an opinion.

I really don't like it. First, it seems to be primarily aimed at being a streaming server, which was not what I wanted, so its main utility is lost on me.
Second, I hadn't realized it was browser-based; it's a messy kludge-job that's clumsy and slow and totally ignores the Mac UI.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711