I have a 13-inch, late 2011 MacBook Pro with 2.4GHz intel core i5, 8Gb of RAM and running on OS X El Capitan ver 10.11.6.

I was watching a video when the screen suddenly froze. It froze for quite a while so I forced shut it down. When I restarted it, i was stuck at the page with the loading bar after the log in page. The bar wouldn't move for 1h, so I forced shut it down again, and restarted in safe mode. I was able to restart it after a while, but it suddenly became very slow. I need at least 10 mins to open safari as my laptop will freeze (rainbow pointer) and safari will show up as non-responsive on my activity monitor. Can't do anything during that 10 minutes either (e.g cannot use other apps).

I have no idea what happened to my laptop, and how to get around the lag. Will appreciate help please, I can't spend 10 minutes waiting for every webpage to load and not being able to multitask on word/safari at the same time.
    10-28-2017 01:28 AM
    I have a 13-inch, late 2011 MacBook Pro with 2.4GHz intel core i5, 8Gb of RAM and running on OS X El Capitan ver 10.11.6.

I was watching a video when the screen suddenly froze. It froze for quite a while so I forced shut it down. When I restarted it, i was stuck at the page with the loading bar after the log in page. The bar wouldn't move for 1h, so I forced shut it down again, and restarted in safe mode. I was able to restart it after a while, but it suddenly became very slow. I need at least 10 mins to open safari as my laptop will freeze (rainbow pointer) and safari will show up as non-responsive on my activity monitor. Can't do anything during that 10 minutes either (e.g cannot use other apps).

I have no idea what happened to my laptop, and how to get around the lag. Will appreciate help please, I can't spend 10 minutes waiting for every webpage to load and not being able to multitask on word/safari at the same time.
    Welcome to iMore.

Couple of things I will suggest. Try a NVRAM or SMC Reset first. If either of these do not help then there is a chance that the hard drive in your MBP is starting to go. If that is the case I suggest doing a backup of the drive and then have someone have a look at your laptop. Thanks.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-28-2017 04:29 AM
    In addition, try clearing the browsers cache.
    10-28-2017 07:42 AM