The hey Siri feature is not working with my smart cover is closed

I

iMore Question

Hey Siri feature not working when my smart cover is closed I’m on an iPad Pro running iOS 11. Hey Siri works just fine as long as I keep the smart cover open could be on the lock screen or anywhere else no problem. I restarted the iPad I checked all the settings that I thought I should look at turn things on and off to no avail. The hey Siri feature worked fine before the upgrade to iOS 11, called Apple two hours later still have the same problem can anyone help. Thanks in advance peace

craigzki

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Same on my Air 2. It also stops working if you use a magnet to trick the ipad into thinking it has a smart cover that is closed. (edit: My point being it isn't the cover blocking the microphone. It literally stops listening for 'hey siri' if it thinks the cover is closed after upgrading to IOS 11)

Some guy on the support forums says he reported it as a bug during the 11 beta and was told it was intended behaviour.

Most annoying. I can no longer set my alarm by calling out to my iPad while it is charging in it's normal spot on the dresser unless I charge it with the cover open.

Last edited:

jbright912

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I opened an incident with Apple Tech Support on this issue. They contacted their development team. The development team responded that this is the desired functionally after the Upgrade to IOS 11.0. What a shame! In my mind they broke it....instead of improving it.

cata nieves

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
I see this thread is a few years old:I never had the issue with iOS 11 on my iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 9.7. Both had sleep/wake cases that should have caused it.

But my new iPad Air 4 has the issue.

Spoke with Apple: they said to make sure the setting in accessibility : Settings > Accessibility > Siri and turn on Always Listen for "Hey Siri" is turned on. It was already.

After that, they had me erase my iPad and set up as new which didn't help. I have an open case with Apple atm.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234