iphone 7 plus - some contacts disappear

Panzac

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
This is driving me absolutely demented.

I've lost some contacts, totally randomly (not all contacts, just some now and again). Naturally it's always a contact that I use and go to phone or message and the contact has disappeared.

After googling, I thought the issue may be to do with icloud. However, when I went to restore contacts with icloud, there were none to restore.

I then checked on my phone to ensure it was backing up but each time I try and go into icloud on the iphone it says "can't connect to icloud".

I'm at a total loss.

Has anyone else experienced losing some of their contacts?

Thanks

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure ALL of your contacts are being stored in iCloud and not somewhere else? What happens when you open Contacts and go to Groups (upper left corner)? Is there anything unchecked? If so, do the missing contacts come back if you check everything?

Let me know what happens and we’ll go from there.

Panzac

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Rob.

No, I'm not sure any contacts are being stored in iCloud, because when I went into iCloud to restore the contacts on the Mac, it said there weren't any to restore.

When I go into iCloud on the iphone, "Apps using iCloud" it shows that all the apps are ticked, so to speak (the green button showing that they have been selected). iCloud back up is also selected as being on. It says it was last backed up 9:27pm yesterday.

Panzac

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Sorry Rob, I had to post the above quickly, as the Mac keeps zooming for no apparent reason and it's really difficult to read.

I went into "Groups". Everything was checked. However, I unchecked and then rechecked, and nearly all of the contacts have reappeared. I now have multiple entries for the lost contacts that I had to put in again. Strangely though, the contact I was after that I was trying to ring yesterday, still hasn't reappeared. Naturally it's a relatively urgent contact, as I need something done on my car. Doh!

Stranger than fiction.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Rob, I had to post the above quickly, as the Mac keeps zooming for no apparent reason and it's really difficult to read.

I went into "Groups". Everything was checked. However, I unchecked and then rechecked, and nearly all of the contacts have reappeared. I now have multiple entries for the lost contacts that I had to put in again. Strangely though, the contact I was after that I was trying to ring yesterday, still hasn't reappeared. Naturally it's a relatively urgent contact, as I need something done on my car. Doh!

Stranger than fiction.

You must have different contacts, such as iCloud contacts, Gmail contacts, etc. It's best to make all contacts iCloud contacts for iOS. I had to do that. I had 3 different ones. There's a way to make them all iCloud. Start by going to settings > Contacts > make iCloud the default. Then make sure contacts are toggled on in settlngs > iCloud. If it's on, toggle it off> choose "Delete from my iPhone"> then toggle back on. If there are duplicates, you should be able to delete those that are not iCloud. You may need to create a contacts vCard and import it to Contacts.
You can see all mine are iCloud now now. Also 2 groups I created using the SE Contacts app.
04fed41c91a97c68fadbe7737579442a.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2