Try a different carrier without porting number but appearing to be old number

zucchiniknob

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 5S with AT&T. I would like to try T-Mobile without porting my current number but in such a way as my friends and contacts see my current AT&T number, not the new T-Mobile number. Having tried it, it I like T-Mobile, then I will port my old number.

But in the meantime, I don't want to confuse friends and contacts that my number has changed then possibly changing back to the old number. This should really be a thing to help you evaluate a new service.

I think that I can forward calls to my old number to the new number using Settings->Phone->Call Forwarding.

But how do I make it so that when I call or send a text (or iMessage) that it appears to be coming from my old number?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If you're phone is unlocked, why not just switch over to T Mobile and get a new SIM card. If it doesn't work, switch back. Unless your grandfathered into an old plan with AT&T that you don't want to lose, I don't see the disadvantage here. Using the same phone will save you from spending money on new equipment and if the phone is unlocked I believe it will work with T Mobile as well.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
For an iMessage, it's simple. Your old number should still be registered under Settings - Messages - Send & Receive

To mask your new number to appear as your old one in caller ID is a different story. I don't know how to do that.

Edit: spelling error

Last edited:

zucchiniknob

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
The phone will be unlocked soon. I just received the OK and procedure from AT&T to unlock. Nothing grandfathered. My line is the main line in AT&T Mobile Share Value plan with 4 lines. I guess it's not a problem to make one of the three remaining lines the main line. If I decide I like T-Mobile, I'll move my wife's line but the kids are on their own. The new plan is a plan for seniors (55+) and only allows two lines.

zucchiniknob

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Phone is unlocked. AT&T did something on their end, and then I backed up to iTunes (not cloud), reset all content and settings, and restored the phone from the backup. Somewhere in the process, iTunes showed a message that the phone is unlocked.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods