Disney Cruise with our son with Autism and need help with restrictions on iOS 10.3

I

iMore Question

Hello all.

My wife and I are taking our 14 year old son with Autism on a Disney Cruise in November and the ship has wi-fi on board but it is very expensive. He has an iPad mini which he uses to block out outside stimuli but he sometimes leaves it behind on a chair, bench, etc. I need to connect it to wifi on board to allow us to use find my iPhone but I don't want any other app enabled for wifi. It is not jailbroken. Do I have any options? Thank you for any help.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! The only thing I can think of is delete the apps. Then sign out of iTunes. It should then require signing back in to download from the purchased list. This works I think if he doesn't know the log in credentials. Some stock apps would still be available though.

GJNilsen

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
You can delete all the apps that use wifi, even most stock apps are also possible to delete. Then set up restrictions in Settings->Restrictions. There you can disable the App Store, you can disable the iPad from deleting apps, and so on. There is no use in following the "ambassadors" tip of logging out. This you control instead from the restrictions in settings. There you also can white-list the websites you allow him to visit, or just block them all. Everything from messages and facetime, to playing multiplayer games can be managed and restricted from there.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You can delete all the apps that use wifi, even most stock apps are also possible to delete. Then set up restrictions in Settings->Restrictions. There you can disable the App Store, you can disable the iPad from deleting apps, and so on. There is no use in following the "ambassadors" tip of logging out. This you control instead from the restrictions in settings. There you also can white-list the websites you allow him to visit, or just block them all. Everything from messages and facetime, to playing multiplayer games can be managed and restricted from there.

Note: The Ambassador’s tip is an option for the OP to consider just like yours. Thank you

GJNilsen

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Note: At east give correct tips. The logging out is not even a tip. Restrictions is an integral part of iOS, and not mentioning something that basic tells volumes about the competency.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Note: At east give correct tips. The logging out is not even a tip. Restrictions is an integral part of iOS, and not mentioning something that basic tells volumes about the competency.

Just because you dislike the tip doesn’t invalidate it. It’s merely a different option than the one you gave.

GJNilsen

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
It has nothing to do with liking or disliking anything. It has to do with plain and simple competency, or rather the lack there of. The first a person claiming to be in some sorts of support role on iOS, or other Apple devices for that sake, should suggest, would be the built in standard measures built by Apple to aid the user or guardian for that user. You should really reconsider who you hire if someone is not capable thereof.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I read recently where teens had figured out a way to bypass restrictions using an online site. Parents were upset. So, I decided not to go that route. Thanks for your input.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It has nothing to do with liking or disliking anything. It has to do with plain and simple competency, or rather the lack there of. The first a person claiming to be in some sorts of support role on iOS, or other Apple devices for that sake, should suggest, would be the built in standard measures built by Apple to aid the user or guardian for that user. You should really reconsider who you hire if someone is not capable thereof.
You need to educate yourself as to what "Ambassadors" are here at iMore and what they are not.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

Every post you have made on multiple threads are negative. Must be a rough life living through negativity.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711