Update Apple Pay?

45Shield

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6s and a Galaxy S7. My question is when is Apple going to update Apple pay to work as well as Samsung pay? It is so much easier and widespread to use Samsung pay because you can use it anywhere there's a card reader. It seems like Apple would step up their game to match Samsung. I do love my Apple products, but this seems to be a serious shortcoming for mobile payment platform.

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
You can use Apple Pay in all the same places as Samsung Pay, they are just provided but different companies but both can be used as contactless payment. I have Apple pay on my iPhone and watch and use it almost daily. If they are not working you might need to contact your bank and ask them to check its all turned on their end.

45Shield

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
You can use Apple Pay in all the same places as Samsung Pay, they are just provided but different companies but both can be used as contactless payment. I have Apple pay on my iPhone and watch and use it almost daily. If they are not working you might need to contact your bank and ask them to check its all turned on their end.

No, Apple Pay is restricted to tap and pay. Samsung Pay can be used anywhere that you can swipe a card. World of difference.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
My question is when is Apple going to update Apple pay to work as well as Samsung pay?

This is a question best suited for Apple. Until Apple decides to add every Mom & Pop store and their payment system may I suggest you continue to use your Galaxy s7.
The stores the I personally frequent and trust all have Apple Pay capabilities.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
With more and more cards switching to chips rather than magnetic strips, makes one think magnetic strips are being phased out in the near future. Now saying that it makes perfect sense Apple would focus more on NFC readers than a technology that is destined to go away ...

45Shield

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
With more and more cards switching to chips rather than magnetic strips, makes one think magnetic strips are being phased out in the near future. Now saying that it makes perfect sense Apple would focus more on NFC readers than a technology that is destined to go away ...

That makes sense. I do hope that it will allow Apple Pay to be more widespread. In my town, I can use it at Walgreens, McDonald's, and Best Buy. Not Wal-Mart, Sears, any home improvement store, etc. Whereas I can use the other platform at any of those places, including the "Mom and Pop " stores. Maybe it's because Samsung bought the company that uses the magnetic stripe technology, I don't know. I like both phone platforms, but am Apple at heart. I am totally in their ecosystem. It's just the mobile pay platform that I feel like they have dropped the ball.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6s and a Galaxy S7. My question is when is Apple going to update Apple pay to work as well as Samsung pay? It is so much easier and widespread to use Samsung pay because you can use it anywhere there's a card reader. It seems like Apple would step up their game to match Samsung. I do love my Apple products, but this seems to be a serious shortcoming for mobile payment platform.

It's up to the vendor to have the abilities to accept Apple Pay.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204274

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree OP. Samsung pay is more convenient simply because it's accepted in more places. The technology Samsung used allowed for a greater rate of acceptance. I don't see that changing honestly. As time progresses I'm sure more vendors will begin to support Apple Pay though. But for now, it's not really a question for us as much as a question for Apple, as @Spencerdl stated.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I've never actually used it. Not hard for me to pull out my card anywhere I want. Maybe some day I'll try it but I don't see the big deal. What am I missing?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I've never actually used it. Not hard for me to pull out my card anywhere I want. Maybe some day I'll try it but I don't see the big deal. What am I missing?

Some, not all, have their phone or Apple watch more readily available than their wallets/purse. For some it's just more convenient. For others, it's just muscle memory to reach for a wallet.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Some, not all, have their phone or Apple watch more readily available than their wallets/purse. For some it's just more convenient. For others, it's just muscle memory to reach for a wallet.

Thanks.
Like I said, I might try it some day but I'm one of those muscle memory people. By the time I think of it I've already paid with my card!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks.
Like I said, I might try it some day but I'm one of those muscle memory people. By the time I think of it I've already paid with my card!

Apologies if it seemed like I was trying to coax you into using AP. Just showing what the big deal is for those who do use it. Personally, I forget 9 times out of 10 that I have it! LOL

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Apologies if it seemed like I was trying to coax you into using AP. Just showing what the big deal is for those who do use it. Personally, I forget 9 times out of 10 that I have it! LOL

No, I didn't get that from your post. But hey, maybe I'll be more likely to give it a try!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2