excessive Documents and Data memory??

I

iMore Question

Hi I have over 30GB of memory being used for "documents and data"... and now my iPhone is saying it can not take any more photos.... I have optimised photos turned on, so synced phone to iTunes and got the below info! This has to be wrong never had this before... seems since I have done the update.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a 64GB iPhone 6s running IOS 10.3.3.

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 21.01.11.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is your iPhone syncing your photos to iCloud? If so, it will be unable to accept anymore photos to “sync” if your storage allotment is at capacity.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have over 30GB of memory being used for "documents and data"... and now my iPhone is saying it can not take any more photos.... I have optimised photos turned on, so synced phone to iTunes and got the below info! This has to be wrong never had this before... seems since I have done the update.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a 64GB iPhone 6s running IOS 10.3.3.

The Documents and Data are things from your apps that are kept on the phone. For example things like social apps, games, and messages. You can see an example of this if you go into your Settings > General > iPhone Storage and then give it a moment for everything to load. You can see which apps are taking up the most cached space, but deleting and reinstalling each one of those from the app store would be a major pain. The safest way to clean up the Documents and Data from your phone is to perform both an encrypted backup of your device on your hard drive and on icloud, factory reset the phone, and then reinstall from backup. The encrypted backups save things like your Health data and passwords, but does not save your iTouch settings. You will not lose your contacts or your photos, but it's always safest to backup all of your photos to a safe place any time you do a reset.

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok thanks Sherry_B I went into the settings and found near 20GB were messages ... obviously didn't realise it had got that big and also would have thought iTunes would show them as messages... but ill know documents and data includes messages next time.... a quick few deletes and iPhone all happy again!! Thanks for all the replies and suggestions good to get such fast responses :yes:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks Sherry_B I went into the settings and found near 20GB were messages ... obviously didn't realise it had got that big and also would have thought iTunes would show them as messages... but ill know documents and data includes messages next time.... a quick few deletes and iPhone all happy again!! Thanks for all the replies and suggestions good to get such fast responses :yes:

Yep, especially the photos and videos in messages.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

You are so very welcome!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2