After the Note 7 recall, many don't know what will happen for the next generation. But after everything that happened, would it still interest you, maybe if it had the right features? Did it hurt the Samsung image enough for you personally to not go with a phone from them again?
    07-14-2017 03:09 PM
    After the Note 7 recall, many don't know what will happen for the next generation. But after everything that happened, would it still interest you, maybe if it had the right features? Did it hurt the Samsung image enough for you personally to not go with a phone from them again?
    I would happily buy the Note 8 if it's good.

Well actually I wouldn't, because it will probably be very very expensive and I prefer to spend money on more interesting things. But the battery issues of the Note 7 do not bother me.
    seanpr likes this.
    07-14-2017 03:12 PM
    Yup I plan on buying one on swappa a few months after release
    DINGSTER1 and Premium1 like this.
    07-14-2017 03:16 PM
    I'd still purchase a note 8. Many forget that Samsung has a very good track record of making excellent devices. One hiccup will not redefine their image. That's evident in the success of the Galaxy S8. Come release time the Note 8 will prove to be just as successful as its predecessors, if not more.
    MooMooPrincess and Premium1 like this.
    07-14-2017 03:53 PM
    When our local news said that the Galaxy Note 7 would be put back on the market in select countries, the people at work just laughed. I don't know, I think people are still skeptical when something like this happens.
    07-14-2017 05:54 PM
    I bought an S8+, so no. It didn't stop me.
    seanpr and Premium1 like this.
    07-14-2017 06:12 PM
    I was selling them for multiple carriers when they were going through the whole switch and recall. At first I was just laughing, but then it quickly became a nightmare. Having to deal with the phones coming back and switching them for a supposedly "fixed" one, which took about an hour per phone getting it right on their wireless plan and then moving their data, and then having those "fixed" phones come back and have to get yet another new totally different phone, was madness. All those people were tired of it, especially the second time. Many switched to iPhones, that's why I'm interested in seeing how much the recall affected their image to the public, since a lot of people I dealt with firsthand were tired of it and would never go back to Samsung.
    07-14-2017 07:17 PM
    But maybe some will still buy it, that didn't buy the Note 7 the first time
    thedonp likes this.
    07-14-2017 07:19 PM
    I like the Samsung Note range, and am sure at some stage, I'll try the Note 8. But, not upon initial release...
    seanpr likes this.
    07-15-2017 06:15 AM
    I would have no reservations about buying a Note 8 ...
    What happened with the Note 7 was an accident that cost Samsung dearly. I fallback on the 100's of millions of Samsung phones that didn't catch fire ...
    07-15-2017 09:01 AM
    Of course I would. Seeing as how the s8/s8+ hasn't had issues with the battery (not to mention the extra testing on the battery they have been doing) the fact the note 7 had issues is not a worry to me for the note 8.
    seanpr likes this.
    07-15-2017 11:30 AM
    I have an s8+. I wasn't worried when I got it. As stated above, Samsung as really focused on extra testing. They took it as a lesson learned. I would fully trust it.
    seanpr and thedonp like this.
    07-15-2017 11:33 AM
    I have an s8+. I wasn't worried when I got it. As stated above, Samsung as really focused on extra testing. They took it as a lesson learned. I would fully trust it.
    Not to mention they literally cannot take another fiasco like the note and the huge losses they had to endure with getting all those phones back.
    07-17-2017 05:58 PM
    Not to mention they literally cannot take another fiasco like the note and the huge losses they had to endure with getting all those phones back.
    You can do a lot with $5 billion. Apple took $5 billion and made Apple Park. Samsung took $5 billion and recalled their flagship phone... Yeah that was an expensive recall.
    07-17-2017 06:26 PM
    You can do a lot with $5 billion. Apple took $5 billion and made Apple Park.
    Serious question - do you think Apple park was a good way to spend $5 billion?
    07-24-2017 07:34 AM
    If it helps their Apple products, then yes I think it was. I'm pretty sure Samsung spent a lot too, doublechecking all of their batteries, as well as the commercials and ads they ran to try to help people to trust the rest of their products.
    07-24-2017 07:30 PM
    If it helps their Apple products, then yes I think it was. I'm pretty sure Samsung spent a lot too, doublechecking all of their batteries, as well as the commercials and ads they ran to try to help people to trust the rest of their products.
    That wasn't Samsung's choice. They had to do that.
    07-25-2017 01:52 AM
    I don't know enough about Apple's operations to know if they really needed that facility, but it's evident that they've outgrown 1 Infinite Loop. They're the world' largest, and most cash rich, company so I don't think it killed them to spend $5 billion on their new HQ. They could have spent $10 billion on it and I'm sure they'd still be okay and still on track with all of their research and development and other projects.

That wasn't Samsung's choice. They had to do that.
    True. Samsung chose to cut corners in their manufacturing processes in order to push the Note 7 out sooner to compete with the iPhone 7 release. They dug their grave with that one and getting out isn't cheap.
    07-25-2017 06:08 AM
    True. Samsung chose to cut corners in their manufacturing processes in order to push the Note 7 out sooner to compete with the iPhone 7 release. They dug their grave with that one and getting out isn't cheap.
    There but for the grace of God go all of us...
    07-25-2017 06:40 AM
    I don't know enough about Apple's operations to know if they really needed that facility, but it's evident that they've outgrown 1 Infinite Loop. They're the world' largest, and most cash rich, company so I don't think it killed them to spend $5 billion on their new HQ. They could have spent $10 billion on it and I'm sure they'd still be okay and still on track with all of their research and development and other projects.

Speaking of cutting corners, the Note 8 is said to debut early again this year, in August, to compete with the next iPhone. This is sounding oddly familiar...

With that in mind, would you still trust the Note 8?
    07-25-2017 11:22 AM
    Speaking of cutting corners, the Note 8 is said to debut early again this year, in August, to compete with the next iPhone. This is sounding oddly familiar...

I would trust that the battery issues that plagued the Note 7 are going to be resolved in the Note 8. Samsung knows more than anyone that if they have another battery issue like that they're in huge trouble. The Note 7 debacle will feel like small potatoes in comparison. As far as another early release...hoping it's just a result of starting the manufacturing process earlier and not cutting corners.
    07-25-2017 12:17 PM

Yes. Do you understand product release cycles?
    07-26-2017 02:38 AM

Isn't August the traditional timeframe for the note being released/announced?

I really don't even understand why there would be trust issues for the Note 8. The Note 7 was not Samsung first rodeo. They have more devices on the market than any other manufacturer including Apple. I'd have trust issues if there were battery problems with the Notes 1,2,3,4 & 5. But one incident of this kind in what 20 years? It doesn't and won't define Samsung There track record is too good.

This is a prime example of focusing on the negatives.
    07-26-2017 03:30 AM

I really don't even understand why there would be trust issues for the Note 8. The Note 7 was not Samsung first rodeo. They have more devices on the market than any other manufacturer including Apple. I'd have trust issues if there were battery problems with the Notes 1,2,3,4 & 5. But one incident of this kind in what 20 years? It doesn't and won't define Samsung There track record is too good.

Why the focus on the negative?
    anony_mouse likes this.
    07-26-2017 03:31 AM

This is a prime example of focusing on the negatives.
    A prime example of focusing on the negatives?Focusing on the negatives would be looking at the fact that Samsung's heir to the throne was accused of bribery and embezzlement and was arrested, or how their Galaxy S3 battery problems spilled into the S4, or how China's Central television showed a thirty-minute video about Samsung's faulty batteries, or how they were fined by Taiwan for false reviews, or how they were fined yet again by Taiwan for misleading advertisement. That would be things that would actually affect your trust with Samsung as a company, but instead I was staying on topic and bringing back the topic to the Note 8, not focusing on the negatives. And the fact that this isn't Samsung's first rodeo is exactly the point. They've been making phones for years and years, but they mess up the battery on their most expensive phone at the time, their flagship phone. If Apple did that with the iPhone 8, 1 Infinite Loop would be burned to the ground and Tim Cook beheaded on the White House lawn (may be exaggerating a bit for effect, but close enough).

As for your claims of their track record being "too good," think again my friend.

http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/ne...-claim-1682769

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...163495878.html

https://www.google.com/amp/thedroidg...es-1069443/amp

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/sa...shing-machines

http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+to+...ticle24065.htm

Anyway, I'm not focusing on the negatives, I'm focusing on the future of Apple's greatest U.S. competitor. Remember, the point of his thread is about using Samsung's past to make observations for their future. Observing past mistakes to make comments about the future isn't focusing on negatives, it's something humans have been doing for all of history. It's called history.
    07-26-2017 01:47 PM
33 12