Fully specced Macbook 12'' a good idea?

I

iMore Question

Ok so I have the money and I am thinking of getting the following...

1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
512GB SSD storage
Intel HD Graphics 615

That is for 1864 GBP, or 2380 USD

I compare this to a Macbook Pro 13" and it seems like, except for graphics, to be a good deal.

I like the Rose Gold, apart from price is there anything seriously wrong with this load out?

Thanks!

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I consider the 12" MacBook an overpriced Facebook / Netflix machine. It's in a weird spot between an iPad and any other Mac laptop.

I think it's a waste of money to fully spec it out with an "i7" which in the 12" MacBook is just a re-branded Core M. (thanks, Intel!) Due to the passive cooling (no fans) the computer will thermal throttle (scale back performance to reduce heat) when you are doing something resource intensive.

I think the 12" MacBook is fine for media consumption (as long as you're willing to spend the money) but if you need to use it for any real productivity then you should get something else.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Depends on what you are wanting to use it for. You can get a 13 inch screen, a twelve-core PowerVR GPU, a six-core A10X Fusion processor that is faster than many Intel Core i7 processors, cellular capabilities, and 512GB of SSD storage. Yes, I’m talking about the 12.9 iPad Pro, but that will run you a lot cheaper, only 1,229.00.

Anyway, to answer your question, if you’re not concerned with high power graphics or Thunderbolt, then perhaps that will work for you. If you’re wanting to plug up high quality screens to it, along with other externals, it's better to go with the Macbook Pro. If you’re wanting to keep it for a long time and not trade in anytime soon, then go for a Macbook Pro.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2