Family Sharing Is Not Sharing

I

iMore Question

All of my purchases have been on [redacted]@gmail.com (not the actual addresses other than after the @) I also have an Apple ID that my wife and I have been sharing which is [redacted]@me.com. The problem is that with the shared Apple ID, the iPhones and iPad keep cross pollinating our phone calls and I can't get it to stop. So I decided to have my wife and I use separate Apple IDs. So I have [redacted]@me.com and she has [redacted]@me.com (we previously only used these for email) So I turned on family sharing and set up [redacted]@me.com as the organizer. Under use this account share purchases, I selected the [redacted]@gmail.com account since that is where all the purchases were made. I invited my wife and son and they are part of the family sharing group each sharing their own purchases, if any, from wife@me.com and [redacted]@icloud.com. I also signed up for the Apple Music Family plan. The problem is none of the purchases or Apple Music is being shared. My son got an email notice that he was part of the group for apple music, but when you tap start here, it takes him to the page for him to sign up for a 3 month trial which he shouldn't need because he is on my family account. I had a lot of other problems which I resolved on my own doing research and trying different things, but this one I just cannot solve. Frankly, the whole thing has been a confusing mess. Apple used to be the very best at simplicity. The situation with Apple ID's is a disaster for anyone that was on the system back when it was just iTunes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
We don't use Family Sharing or subscribe to Apple Music. Hopefully someone who knows more than I will come along to help.
Note: Sharing an Apple ID can cause problems for sure. You all need your own Apple ID and password.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Forgive my confusion but let me start by asking has this all been done via mobile, pic or Mac? I happen to be subscribed to the same services but it's been so long with the setup and I'm trying to backtrack steps. I have all 3 of my boys under sharing and I do remember that once the invite email is sent it needs to be accepted. I also recall the start here but I believe that is the standard landing page. An easy way to check though is to go on iTunes (Mac) and select your Account information. Under your Apple ID it will say Family Sharing with a link to open in System Preferences. Everyone that is under your Family Sharing should be listed there and make sure the box for Share my purchases is selected.

Now in regards to the Apple Music Family Sharing.... there is an article on iMore you might want to check out and try to redo those steps.
http://www.imore.com/cant-get-family-sharing-apple-music-work-heres-fix

We'll all help as much as we can to help you get this up and running :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
When my son got his iPhone my wife shared her Apple ID with him and it caused all kinds of issues. Now she has set the up family sharing with him and seems to be working well. I'll ask her if it's still working ok.

As for Apple Music, we're not using the family sharing but I've been thinking about it. Will report back I'd there are any issues.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any need Family Sharing myself, however Apple does have a help page for this specific issue, here.

If you can't get your content to share after trying @DarlaMack suggestions, and the suggestions from Apple, then I with @pkcable and you should try to make a Genius Bar appointment.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Every so often Family Sharing causes issues for my family. I will say that although the concept is awesome...it can be extremely frustrating when it's not working. I've had to remove and re-invite members into the family share in the past so that may be an option as well. If all else fails, going to Apple and have them assist may be the best choice. Just last month three of my family members couldn't access Apple Music. It told them they have to sign up. Even though myself and another family member were able to listen just fine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR