iCloud question: How to delete documents from one device without deleting them from another?

I

iMore Question

I have two macbook pros and want to delete some docs from one and keep on another.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Or you could create a folder on one MacBook and move the documents in there and make sure that folder isn't shared via iCloud.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello

I believe you have TWO options:

#1. Create a folder that doesn´t sync with iCloud Drive so whatever you toss in it, will stay only on that computer. Like the previous poster suggested. (actually the only folders that automatically sync through computers are Desktop and Documents).
So to do this, just go to your homefolder (the one that has the home icon and should be named after your user) and create a folder there, Name it whatever you want and it'll be like the non-syncing documents or whatever folder.

#2- Turn off automatic Documents and Desktop syncing through iCloud Drive altogether (you'd do this if you don't have enough iCloud Drive space for instance or if you just don't want to use iCloud Drive). You turn it off on the macbook you don't wanna share the info from (or in both keeping in mind the documents you create in one won't automatically sync and the optimize space option won't work either since it uses the auto syncing for that).

Try this and let me know how that goes:
- (Before trying this, do a back up of the iCloud enabled documents folder to a different location, because if I'm correct after this, that document folder will be empty.
- Open system preferences --> iCloud --> iCloud Drive Options...-->Documents Tab and uncheck the "Desktop & Documents Folders" and also uncheck the "Optimize Mac Storage" at the bottom of the window.

So depeding on your needs I share this two options.

Hope you solve your issue.

Cheers!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have two macbook pros and want to delete some docs from one and keep on another.

You're aware that space isn't being consumed on either Mac if you're using iCloud storage right? Just wondering what the reason would be to have them tied to the same iCloud account if you don't want your documents across both devices. Might it make more sense to remove one from the document sync feature?

Otherwise you'd just want to create a local folder on one that only has documents you want on that computer and leave them out of the shared folders.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234