I am changing from an imac to a macbook pro with 250gb hard drive. Photography is my hobby and have been using Aperture for some time and have about 23,000 photos currently stored on a managed library in Aperture on my imac. I now wish to store these photos on a wireless external 2TB seagate hard drive. I would like it to work so I can access these while I am travelling and to be able to edit existing photos and new photos and then save back to the hard drive. I have already copied my Aperture library to this drive and accessed it but I am finding it takes a long time to load and then an equally long time to edit so I have concluded there must be a better way to do this? If there is an answer Please Outline it, step by step. I am new to using external hard drives.
    03-10-2017 05:09 AM
    It's going to be slower.

1) spinning disk vs. SSD
    2) wireless connection

You should check how fast the drive is. That could be your bottleneck. A wireless SSD might work.

Honestly, you should use a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt port drive to an SSD. You need the speed. I would not even try wireless drives for intensive work, even a full NAS.

By the way, I would never buy Seagate or a 3 TB drive.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...0hard%20drives
    03-11-2017 08:10 PM