Which Home WiFi Routers Are We Using & Recommend?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I am in the market for a new router, I have owned pretty much all brands throughout the years... except an Apple router. I am thinking of purchasing the 6th Gen. Airport Extreme. It would be used for normal activities like video streaming and external storage/music playback. I currently own an Apple TV, iPhone 7+, and iPad. Not that those devices matter, but I have never had any failure to date with Apple products. Since the price tag in quite hefty on the Extreme, I don't mind paying for quality and longevity... so I am looking for the pros/cons of the Extreme. I hear great things about it and minimal issues over the years.

Beyond the Airport Extreme; Beklin/Cisco/Linksys have went downhill, D-Link and Netgear have random breaking issues. I am currently using a TP-Link Archer C7 which works when it works, but drops packets more often than not.

Any help would be appreciated.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I own two Airport Extremes and one Airport Express. I have used nothing but Apple routers since they were first released. I have enjoyed using them as they are simple to use and do exactly as they are supposed to do. I have an extended network throughout my home and my extremes and express do that well. Yes there are better and cheaper routers out there but since you own mostly Apple products I suggest going with their router.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
We have a Netgear... it works ok, but we did have to replace our previous Netgear after 16 months... so time will tell!!!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Does this question mean that you in the US have to buy a router as a separate item ? (rather than coming as part of your broadband package ?)

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Some Internet providers provide a modem/router combo, but they are usually junk. Even with that, you can purchase another router and bypass the built in router.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have an Apple Time Capsule and an Airport Express being used as a range extender. I like that the Time Capsule automatically backs up my MacBook Pro but, if I'm being honest, I haven't been impressed with wireless performance.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an Apple Time Capsule and an Airport Express being used as a range extender.
I had the same set up until last Jan 2016 I took advantage of a Comcast bundle deal and have been using their gateway for the last year. While I don't think the Comcast set up is ideal, it's not horrible enough to get my lazy butt off the couch to bridge the gateway as a modem and go back to my Apple networking or the band new in a box ASUS RT-68U that T-mobile gave when they were promoting wifi calling a couple years back ...

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have 2 Airport Extremes and 3 Airport Expresses to blanket my house with WiFi, but I am seriously considering switching to the new Synology ac2600 router. The features intrigue me.

Plus lately I have been getting way slower speeds when not right next to the main router.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Shoot I'm still using an old LinkSys router from when I got my first place in 2008. Nine years later and it's still pumping out Wi-Fi! #dontjudgeme

I still have my old Linksys and it still works as well, to bad it's only G. Linksys was fantastic before being sold to Cisco and then Belkin. At my job we won't even consider Cisco anymore.

I am intrigued about the Extreme, hence this thread.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 Airport Extremes and 3 Airport Expresses to blanket my house with WiFi, but I am seriously considering switching to the new Synology ac2600 router. The features intrigue me.

Plus lately I have been getting way slower speeds when not right next to the main router.

The Synology router does have some sweet features, more than I actually need. I'm looking for a somewhat basic AC router that won't crap out in a year or two.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Which Home WiFi Routers Are We Using & Recommend?

I had a horrendous experience with Netgear 7500. Now I switched to ASUS 88U. Highly recommend it personally. It has enough power to get you through today and well into the future Having the 8 Ethernet ports is handy. My network has a plethora of apple devices, PlayStations, TVs etc and this device handles it all well. My ISP is cable and I get over 200mb download on WIFI. Quite Amazing IMO.

ASUS RT-AC88U Wireless-AC3100 Dual Band Gigabit Router, AiProtection with Trend Micro for Complete Network Security https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016EWKQA...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2905823

4d7cbb1d1df22a225648640f6f19e7ba.jpg

ff00f311824afbbbf7b1a698dcb0edb9.jpg

691c28998fd18235863c60813b2450a3.jpg

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-home-router.2020339/

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Leo Laporte was just talking about the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD on MacBreak Weekly. It's probably the most affordable mesh setup available today but it's also his favorite (even though Eero is a show sponsor). Retails for $350 but you can get it cheaper if you Google around.

https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-mesh-system

Seriously considering this. I've been waiting for mesh systems to come down in price.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm using something that's called ConnectBox. It's a provider issued modem/router and it's dual band. I'm loving it since it supports simultaneous dual band.

38a4231208b55c03b2a4b830972cbea2.jpg

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Our wireless access point is a TRENDnet (it attaches to the ceiling and looks like a smoke alarm), and our router is a Ubiquiti Edge Router PoE.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR