Which Home WiFi Routers Are We Using & Recommend?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Leo Laporte was just talking about the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD on MacBreak Weekly. It's probably the most affordable mesh setup available today but it's also his favorite (even though Eero is a show sponsor). Retails for $350 but you can get it cheaper if you Google around.

https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-mesh-system

Seriously considering this. I've been waiting for mesh systems to come down in price.

We just bought one of these (showed it to my fiance' and he immediately bought it (using an x-mas gift card) after looking at the reviews for it on Amazon) and it's sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. I'll see if I can't get him to post here for you and let you know if it was easy to setup and how well it works.

Our router and wireless access point has been giving us issues for awhile (they're old), so it was time for an update!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
We just bought one of these (showed it to my fiance' and he immediately bought it (using an x-mas gift card) after looking at the reviews for it on Amazon) and it's sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. I'll see if I can't get him to post here for you and let you know if it was easy to setup and how well it works.

Our router and wireless access point has been giving us issues for awhile (they're old), so it was time for an update!

Nice! Let me know how you guys like it. Apparently setup is a breeze.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I've had the new Linksys Velop for a week. (you know the mesh thing)
Works great.
Reaches all areas of inside my house and the three spots outside that I frequently use.
Easy setup & connect. You need to use their app to set it up. Easy.
So far so good.
Good Luck

Papajin

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Nice! Let me know how you guys like it. Apparently setup is a breeze.

Seems pretty decent so far... Speed is much improved. Coverage isn't nearly as good as I expected considering we have the main unit and 2 satellite units as compared to our old single access point. I was hoping to have good coverage in our driveway as our old unit tended not to reach, but even with one of the satellite units plugged in perhaps 25 feet away, the signal is fairly weak in the driveway, though functional at least.

Setup was fairly simple, though the included docs in the box only specify a standard router setup only when I wanted to use it in a bridged setup. Still a quick search found a KB article on the subject so it was still fairly easy.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I use the Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11AC.

Have you used any other brand for comparison?

Price points are always a concern, but my experience with Apple products is you get what you pay for. So… I don't mind paying more for the Extreme.

As for paying that price for a Netgear or Linksys, I'd say forget it. Those products have only lasted months through my experience.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you used any other brand for comparison?

Price points are always a concern, but my experience with Apple products is you get what you pay for. So… I don't mind paying more for the Extreme.

As for paying that price for a Netgear or Linksys, I'd say forget it. Those products have only lasted months through my experience.

Yes. I've used devices from Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, and I'm sure there are a couple I don't recall.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I went with the Linksys WRT1200AC and no complaints. I purchased a WRT because it is part of OpenWRT, so I cannot comment on the stock firmware. I used the stock for about a week and it was slick and relatively fast.

As for the router itself: the N-band reaches far with good throughput at far distances, no noticeable dropped packets or slowness, no constant restarts (I personally restart once a week), no blurred or choppy streaming video. I have several devices connected, around 12, with at least 3 streaming some sort video, plus streaming music to an Echo.

As of date, I consider this Linksys a powerhouse and maintenance free. I bought it for less than half on Amazon as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro