Why does Apple make their products overpriced?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why does Apple make there products over priced?

So does “you get what you pay for” mean we’re not very smart?

That phrase has two meanings; sometimes when you buy something cheap, you get a cheaply made product. Regarding the iPhone, you get what you pay for. IE; good quality hardware at the appropriate price.

There is a reason there is an ever-growing disparity between the wealthy and the rest of the population.

That's nonesense. I do not consider myself wealthy in any regard. I saved for many, many months to get the Apple products that I own. Perhaps "setting small amounts of money aside every paycheck until you have all you need" isn't a term that people whining about the price of Apple products are familiar with.

If you have a source of income then you can own an Apple device. How long it takes you to save up for it will vary.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

That phrase has two meanings; sometimes when you buy something cheap, you get a cheaply made product. Regarding the iPhone, you get what you pay for. IE; good quality hardware at the appropriate price.

That's nonesense. I do not consider myself wealthy in any regard. I saved for many, many months to get the Apple products that I own. Perhaps "setting small amounts of money aside every paycheck until you have all you need" isn't a term that people whining about the price of Apple products are familiar with.

If you have a source of income then you can own an Apple device. How long it takes you to save up for it will vary.

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that just because you can afford a product, or save up for one over time means that it is appropriately priced. Also let’s not use adjectives like “whining” to describe people who feel products are overly priced. That’s a bit disrespectful.
I only jumped into this thread because I enjoy looking at issues from both sides. There really is no argument that businesses and CEO’s are becoming freakishly wealthy on our dime, is there? Neither is there an argument that smartphones can be developed, built and sold for much less. We choose (for various personal reasons) to pay or not pay any price they set. Prices will disproportionately rise compared to return until we collectively decide it is no longer warranted. Individually we will vary in our interpretations along the way. I have only one of those interpretations.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
All products have a top shelve from cars to everyday products including smartphones. I have friends that either can’t afford top shelve or refuse to do so. They buy low end android ZTE phones and I play with them when handed to me and the feel quality as well as performance of my X is the difference of a BMW to a Honda dues the price point. Is it right I don’t know but it’s the way it is.

MSUGrandma

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site

I totally agree! We are a retired couple and are definitely not “wealthy”. However, we have bought other phones previously (as well as iPhones) and have just not been pleased with their performance and have had hardware issues. We have “splurged” and chosen to go strictly Apple for phones and watches. My husbands iPhone has lasted years, no problems. I use the Apple yearly upgrade program (because I can). I love Apple products and am willing to pay more for them (although in the long run I don’t feel that we’ve overpaid). It’s no different than buying any other product.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Apple do this because they believe it will earn them the highest profits. They may well be right.

As a customer, I seek out the company which makes the lowest margins, not the highest - they are likely to have the best value products. If everybody did this, Apple would be toast.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that just because you can afford a product, or save up for one over time means that it is appropriately priced. Also let’s not use adjectives like “whining” to describe people who feel products are overly priced. That’s a bit disrespectful.

It's not my intension to be disrespectful, but after awhile of seeing the same old question it becomes monotonous and quite a bit whiny. I consider myself fairly new to the Apple world, coming from being a serious hardcore Android fanatic, and I felt back then that people whined too much about the price of Apple devices. As an Apple owner now I still feel that way.

There really is no argument that businesses and CEO’s are becoming freakishly wealthy on our dime, is there?

Honestly? This is not something I care about. Why? Because I am thankful for what I already have. I am grateful for a house to clean because it means I have a roof over my head. I am grateful for the laundry I have to do because it means I have clothes to wear. I am grateful for the dishes I have to wash because it means I have food to eat. I am grateful for my son, my husband and my extended family that I gained last year when I re-married. There really is no argument for being so grateful for what you currently have that you don't care about what others have.

I feel like life is too short to think about how much money someone else has. After all, every time you hand over your money for any reason, someone is getting wealthy. So what? If you want to make that kind of money then go out and make it. Be successful.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

It's not my intension to be disrespectful, but after awhile of seeing the same old question it becomes monotonous and quite a bit whiny. I consider myself fairly new to the Apple world, coming from being a serious hardcore Android fanatic, and I felt back then that people whined too much about the price of Apple devices. As an Apple owner now I still feel that way.

Honestly? This is not something I care about. Why? Because I am thankful for what I already have. I am grateful for a house to clean because it means I have a roof over my head. I am grateful for the laundry I have to do because it means I have clothes to wear. I am grateful for the dishes I have to wash because it means I have food to eat. I am grateful for my son, my husband and my extended family that I gained last year when I re-married. There really is no argument for being so grateful for what you currently have that you don't care about what others have.

I feel like life is too short to think about how much money someone else has. After all, every time you hand over your money for any reason, someone is getting wealthy. So what? If you want to make that kind of money then go out and make it. Be successful.

Well, we’ve gotten quite off topic, maybe partly my fault.
I want to ensure I explain that, to me, this has nothing to do with Apple alone. This has to do with a much larger issue being it is certainly ok to work hard and make money. The catch is when profits become so overwhelmingly the focus that a few people are living like kings while others starve.

In our local paper yesterday was a story of a local grocery chain that has filed for bankruptcy. They have closed several stores, laid off numerous employees and taken away pension plans. That wasn’t the story though, it was that the CEO was getting a $1.3 million bonus this year and numerous other top executives getting smaller yet substantial ones. I am not against capitalism but I am against greed at the cost of others.

End of rant. Looking forward to the potential well-priced iPhone SE2 hopefully coming soon. Though I can afford the X I cannot get myself to spend that much on a phone. But hey, that’s just me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Girl, yeah!....’Nuf said...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Well, we’ve gotten quite off topic, maybe partly my fault.
I want to ensure I explain that, to me, this has nothing to do with Apple alone. This has to do with a much larger issue being it is certainly ok to work hard and make money. The catch is when profits become so overwhelmingly the focus that a few people are living like kings while others starve.

In our local paper yesterday was a story of a local grocery chain that has filed for bankruptcy. They have closed several stores, laid off numerous employees and taken away pension plans. That wasn’t the story though, it was that the CEO was getting a $1.3 million bonus this year and numerous other top executives getting smaller yet substantial ones. I am not against capitalism but I am against greed at the cost of others.

End of rant. Looking forward to the potential well-priced iPhone SE2 hopefully coming soon. Though I can afford the X I cannot get myself to spend that much on a phone. But hey, that’s just me.

I understand what you’re saying, but you’ve got to remember that everything must balance. If there’s an “up” then there must be a “down”. If there’s a “left” then there must be a “right”. If there’s “poor” then there must also be “rich”. That is why being “thankful” for what you have is so important.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I understand what you’re saying, but you’ve got to remember that everything must balance. If there’s an “up” then there must be a “down”. If there’s a “left” then there must be a “right”. If there’s “poor” then there must also be “rich”. That is why being “thankful” for what you have is so important.

Trust me, I’m thankful for what I have. I feel extremely lucky every day I wake up.
Yin and yang, I get it.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

I only jumped into this thread because I enjoy looking at issues from both sides. There really is no argument that businesses and CEO’s are becoming freakishly wealthy on our dime, is there? Neither is there an argument that smartphones can be developed, built and sold for much less. We choose (for various personal reasons) to pay or not pay any price they set. Prices will disproportionately rise compared to return until we collectively decide it is no longer warranted. Individually we will vary in our interpretations along the way. I have only one of those interpretations.

When did the word "whining" become an adjective? Pretty sure that's a verb.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Yes, but in the context used in the post, it was a verb.

No. The OP wrote: "Also let’s not use adjectives like “whining” to describe people who feel products are overly priced."

An adjective is a word that "describes a noun", in this case "people". The OP was correct to call "whining" an adjective in this context, e.g. "a whining man", "whining people".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2