What is the first iPhone?

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
The first iPhone released was known simply as the 'iPhone', but some people called it the iPhone 2G.

Last edited:

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
My first iPhone was the Gold 5s (32gb), WOW, that seems so long ago....LOL

Kinda thought you had started with iPhones a good bit before then lol. The 5s had been my longest kept iPhone. I switch back and forth between iPhones and android, but see myself sticking with iPhones for a while.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I remember when the first iPhone came out while I was in college. It was on AT&T so that was the first barrier. Then I saw the price and said "Nah...that's not happening" lol.

Then the iPhone 4 released on my carrier at the time (Sprint) and I went for it. Bounced between that (purchasing each subsequent release of the iPhone) and Android for a few years. Then the 6 released. Went iPhone only and never looked back.

To the OP:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_(1st_generation)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I remember when the first iPhone came out while I was in college. It was on AT&T so that was the first barrier. Then I saw the price and said "Nah...that's not happening" lol.

Then the iPhone 4 released on my carrier at the time (Sprint) and I went for it. Bounced between that (purchasing each subsequent release of the iPhone) and Android for a few years. Then the 6 released. Went iPhone only and never looked back.

To the OP:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_(1st_generation)

I remember reading and marveling about the first iPhone... and never ever in a million years did I think I'd own one. We were eating at Red Robin the weekend after they came out. Then man at the next table had one, and I fascinated, and couldn't stop watching him play with it. It was as though he was a celebrity or something. I also remember feeling very envious! I'm that way now with the Watch. Again, I'd be surprised that I'd ever own one... but I've learned from past experienced to never say never!!!

To the OP: Welcome to iMore. This is a fun thread. You say it's for a school project... and that's kind of cool. Can you share a little more about the project?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Kinda thought you had started with iPhones a good bit before then lol. The 5s had been my longest kept iPhone. I switch back and forth between iPhones and android, but see myself sticking with iPhones for a while.

Nope, actually my first smartphone was the Blackberry 8330, but my longest tenure with any smartphone was indeed my iPhone 5s which I had for approx. 22 months....Man, I love everything about that smartphone....LOL.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
First smartphone was a Blackberry that was nicknamed the Blueberry. The minute the iPhone was announced I had one on release day. And it was just called the iPhone.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
First smartphone was a Blackberry that was nicknamed the Blueberry. The minute the iPhone was announced I had one on release day. And it was just called the iPhone.

7290 probably! I had one too! I was late to the iPhone train, came in with the iPhone 6 Plus. Always had and have multiple phones (I have a Mate 9, Pixel and Lumia 950 current along with my. iPhone 7 Plus which replaced the 6 Plus. I will most likely get a BlackBerry Mercury too!

anon(596177)

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The first iPhone, in one word, was simply "fascinating." Even if you aren't a fan of iPhones now, as I'm not, you had to appreciate the genuine innovation that went into the iPhone. I remember watching the news on launch day at all the people that were lined up at the at&t store in NYC just waiting to get their hands on one. And I, like others in this thread, saw it as an expensive luxury phone that most people would likely never own. Man how tech changes over the years!

Oh, and I'm only 29, but this question just seriously made me feel almost 80.