Hey guys! Quick question, I want to figure out how much of a difference there would be between the performance in terms of export times etc.. between the 13 inch i7 and base level 15 inch? I make videos for a living. I realise the 15 inch is better for video but my question is: How significant is that different in terms of time?
    01-29-2017 06:53 PM
  2. tony bag o donuts said: Best Answer

My son has the 2015 15" mac with 16gb of ram and a 1tb ssd.
    It screams and although pricey, well worth it. He was looking at the 13" retina and went with the 15".
    He is in 6th grade btw and researched the heck out of them and sacrificed some gifts from Santa for it.
    There was something specific that he did not like about the retina, or he read it somewhere. He has been building websites and a bit of video/ photo editing.
    Welcome to iMore.com! In order to better help you we are going to need more info. Please join the site so you can post a response. It's easy, here's how...
    http://forums.imore.com/ask-question...-up-imore.html

I'm going to reach out to some friends to try to get you some help here. In the meanwhile here's an interesting blog that Rene Ritchie, iMore's boss man wrote comparing the different models of the new Mac Book Pro(s).....

Which MacBook Pro should you get? | iMore
    01-30-2017 10:15 AM
    My son has the 2015 15" mac with 16gb of ram and a 1tb ssd.
    It screams and although pricey, well worth it. He was looking at the 13" retina and went with the 15".
    He is in 6th grade btw and researched the heck out of them and sacrificed some gifts from Santa for it.
    There was something specific that he did not like about the retina, or he read it somewhere. He has been building websites and a bit of video/ photo editing.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-30-2017 11:08 AM
    Hey there!

I use a 2013 MacBook Pro for work, with upgraded 8gb RAM and an i5, and we do InDesign and Photoshop a lot with it. At home I have a 2015 13" MacBook with 8gb and an i5, slightly faster processor. If you do this for a living, the i7 may be the better investment but the i5 is fast. I can compare it to my Republic of Gamers i7 rig with 12gb RAM and the MacBook keeps pace and in some areas performs better.

Hope that helps.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-30-2017 12:04 PM
    If I'm reading those 2 correctly it sure sounds like upping the RAM would be a good upgrade, IF possible. In any event I contacted others also, so hopefully you'll get a few more opinions before all is said and done. Thanks R & T!
    01-30-2017 12:30 PM
    Welcome to iMore.

If your doing video the 13" i7 will be the better machine as long as you get an SSD and bump up the RAM. The biggest help is the SSD and quad core. Ultimately in the end I would find the extra money to go with an upgraded 15" i7 16GB with an SSD. The i7 quad core and the dedicated graphics are going to make things much faster. I know this as my iMac is a 27" i7 24GB RAM with Fusion Drive and it renders very fast. I personally would rather have the 13" upgraded over the bottom end 15". I'm by no means a professional video editor but have learned over the years what specs can render faster. I think the bottom end 15" will not be a good choice as it will not render as fast as the 13".
    01-30-2017 07:20 PM
    I really don't find that much of a difference between an i5 and i7 to be honest. But SSD WOW. If you thought going from a 5400 rpm drive to a 7200 rpm drive made a difference the ssd will do wonders. I have a 7 year old desktop. Added some more ram and an SSD for the OS and programs and it works just as fast and efficiently as a new machine with sim specs.
    I agree high end 13 over low end 15, but the higher spec'd 15 is crazy. It boots up like a tablet/ chromebook.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-31-2017 05:47 AM