Dim iPhone Screen After Updating to iOS 10.2.1

noura835

Mar 11, 2017
Visit site
Guys! I found a way to fix this. Go to settings, general, accessibility, vision - zoom, scroll down to zoom filter and select none. It's automatically selected as low light. I had the same problem. It's fixed now. Hope this helped. :)

J Walker1

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
My iPhone 6 was doing this last week, it would keep randomly going dark and bright, exactly the same as if it had overheated, but the phone wasn't hot.

Recently its stopped doing it but: I just noticed now its on 46%, and having just done the view, zoom display reset thing the display has come back much brighter. I didn't even realise it had dimmed! Pretty annoying, I'll be reporting this to apple

J Walker1

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
noura835, That is not the issue these users and myself are having, our displays dim randomly and re-brighten in front of our faces when in use. Zoom is always off in my case. Glad your issue is fixed though! :)

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I still get this occasionally, but it still only seems to be when my iPhone is overly warm and, when it cools down, the display lights back up again.

theboyk

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Just another follow-up on this. I've been dealing with this issue via Apple (via an ongoing bug report) a lot over the last few weeks. I get out of the studio every day in the afternoon for a lunchtime walk. And with the cold weather up here in Canada, battery drains a lot faster than normal outside, so I've been able to hit that 50% mark pretty consistently to monitor the issue . And on an average day, with sunglasses on, the force-dimming at 50% drain makes viewing the phone nearly impossible. Even without sunglasses, it's not much better. So, been testing this almost daily and updating Apple about the issue.

Well, looks like I've been wasting my time. Last night, after filing an update regarding 10.3 beta6, Apple came back with the following:

This issue behaves as intended.
We are now closing this bug report.

So, I guess that's it. We're stuck with it. I'd rather my battery drain faster and still be able to use my phone, then have the battery last longer, but not be able to use it. Very frustrating.

sguk

Mar 27, 2017
Visit site
Anyone with the problem update to the latest 10.3 beta? If so, problem still there?

Now on 10.3 public release, the problem has gone away from what I can see. The phone is on 30% and full brightness.
However, the battery capacity has dropped again in Coconut app, like it was in 10.2, so it seems like they may have just reversed the battery fix to solve the brightness bug they introduced with the battery fix!
It may just take coconut app some time to settle.

theboyk

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Now on 10.3 public release, the problem has gone away from what I can see. The phone is on 30% and full brightness.
However, the battery capacity has dropped again in Coconut app, like it was in 10.2, so it seems like they may have just reversed the battery fix to solve the brightness bug they introduced with the battery fix!
It may just take coconut app some time to settle.

Yea, the day after my last post, I got another email from Apple (via the bug reporting system) that they were re-opening my report, and that the issue should be resolved under 10.3 beta7. Under beta7, I was seeing the same thing as you—the brightness issue seemed to have been fixed, but the battery issue (which was fixed in 10.2.1, which is when this brightness issue was introduced) came back..to the point where I was getting the random shutdown at 30% battery drain. So, was getting the feeling that...

- 10.2.1 fixed the battery bug, but also introduced the screen-dimming bug
- 10.3 (beta7) fixed the screen-dimming bug, but re-introduced the battery bug

I updated my bug report with the above findings, after updating to beta7, but have yet to get a reply from Apple on it.

I just force-applied the 10.3 release, so will keep an eye on things and see if either of the issues continue. I guess, if I had to choose, I'd keep the battery bug over the dimming bug (but really, I'd rather not have to choose and just have both issues fixed).

Fingers crossed...

Edbo_316

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I have updated to iOS 10.3 and I can say that the screen brightness issue has been resolved. I will keep an eye out to see if my phone randomly shuts off like before at around 30%.

meredithutah

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Dim iPhone ter Updating to iOS 10.2.1

Yeah I have updated to iOS 10.3 and I can say that the screen brightness issue has been resolved. I will keep an eye out to see if my phone randomly shuts off like before at around 30%.

I just upgraded to iOS 10.3, on my iPhone 7, and did not have this issue *before* my update. Now, I have it all the time- and it is not always battery dependant (although, the change zoom trick always works-temporarily).

So, not only did the update not resolve the problem for all owners, but it created a problem for many of us.

Stupid Jobs. Why did he have to go and die?! Now we're left with 'betaware' forever. (Lesson on this is to never try and cure cancer with lettuce...)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I just upgraded to iOS 10.3, on my iPhone 7, and did not have this issue *before* my update. Now, I have it all the time- and it is not always battery dependant (although, the change zoom trick always works-temporarily).

So, not only did the update not resolve the problem for all owners, but it created a problem for many of us.

Stupid Jobs. Why did he have to go and die?! Now we're left with 'betaware' forever. (Lesson on this is to never try and cure cancer with lettuce...)

Try Reset All Settings.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

ibbird00

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I have same problem. My 7+ does dims automatically. Just had last 7+ replaced for speaker issues. So new 7+ running 10.3.1 and it dims so dramatically I can barely read the screen. Happens even if phone plugged in. i was below 50% yesterday playing Pokémon Go and it didn't dim. Genius at the bar thought it was some app I had doing it. But it did it in front of genius at the bar with no app running or in the background. Dimmed so low could barely read it.

NolaSusan

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
After updating to iOS 10.2.1 I have noticed that my iPhone screen gets very dim. I check and I have brightness turned all the way up. Is this a new feature in the update or a bug that needs to be fixed?

I'm having the same issue. Turned off 'Auto Brightness" in "Display and Brightness". Turned off "Night Shift". Still dimming while I'm using it.

When in "Low Power Mode" - device will dim, but I turned off 'Low Power Mode" also.

So, does anybody have an answer to this problem? Or, maybe I missed the answer in the thread....?

Thank you.

NolaSusan

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site

Try Reset All Settings.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

Do NOT DO A RESET. This deletes many of your emails, photos, and other things. This should only be a LAST RESORT.

I repeat, do not do a reset.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Do NOT DO A RESET. This deletes many of your emails, photos, and other things. This should only be a LAST RESORT.

I repeat, do not do a reset.

Resetting all settings, just as @Ledsteplin recommended, does not remove any content from your device. Emails, photos, and “other things” are left in tact.

The advice @Ledsteplin gave is perfectly good.

theboyk

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Turned off 'Auto Brightness" in "Display and Brightness". Turned off "Night Shift". Still dimming while I'm using it.

When in "Low Power Mode" - device will dim, but I turned off 'Low Power Mode" also.

So, does anybody have an answer to this problem? Or, maybe I missed the answer in the thread....?

Thank you.

There's no "fix" because this is "working as intended". Tried going through the Bug Reporting process with Apple, but in the end, it is what it is ("working as intended" was what they said to me). They've tweaked how it works in 10.3.x versus how it worked when the issue originally popped-up in 10.2.1, to mask the screen brightness being limited (aka, they modified the brightness bar in Settings so it now changes the brightness along the entire length of the bar, versus the bar not affecting the brightness beyond 50%/75%, depending on your battery drain), but in terms of screen brightness, it still dims with the battery drain. Super frustrating as it makes the phone near impossible to use outside with sunglasses on (when the phone dips below 50% battery), but other than beating a dead horse, I don't think there's anything we can do.

My guess is this whole screen brightness limiting was a result of the battery bug "fix" introduced in 10.2.1. But, who knows. All I do know is, it's annoying. I'd rather go back to pre-10.2.1 functionality and have my battery drain faster with full screen brightness...versus not being able to use my phone outside when I drop below 50%.

KatC1969

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
I've had this problem ever since I bought an iPad Air 2 a few weeks ago (using 10.3.3)...never had problem with first iPad Air I owned and it had updated software. It is driving me nuts! Apple Support was NO help! I don't know what they did but it's awful. I was playing a game, it dimmed then when I looked this thread up, scrolling through, it brightened. I hv Auto off, brightness full, my battery is getting low right now but I think I've noticed it when higher, it happens all the time. I hope they fix this!! Makes me want to get rid of this iPad, seriously!
(Has anyone updated to iOS 11? And does it still happen?) It's constantly dimming and then brightening on its own, so annoying...

KatC1969

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
There's no "fix" because this is "working as intended". Tried going through the Bug Reporting process with Apple, but in the end, it is what it is ("working as intended" was what they said to me). They've tweaked how it works in 10.3.x versus how it worked when the issue originally popped-up in 10.2.1, to mask the screen brightness being limited (aka, they modified the brightness bar in Settings so it now changes the brightness along the entire length of the bar, versus the bar not affecting the brightness beyond 50%/75%, depending on your battery drain), but in terms of screen brightness, it still dims with the battery drain. Super frustrating as it makes the phone near impossible to use outside with sunglasses on (when the phone dips below 50% battery), but other than beating a dead horse, I don't think there's anything we can do.

My guess is this whole screen brightness limiting was a result of the battery bug "fix" introduced in 10.2.1. But, who knows. All I do know is, it's annoying. I'd rather go back to pre-10.2.1 functionality and have my battery drain faster with full screen brightness...versus not being able to use my phone outside when I drop below 50%.

I agree! I would rather have my battery drain faster than constantly have this annoyance! Hope they bring the old back but I doubt it, ugh...

KatC1969

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
Guys! I found a way to fix this. Go to settings, general, accessibility, vision - zoom, scroll down to zoom filter and select none. It's automatically selected as low light. I had the same problem. It's fixed now. Hope this helped. :)

I have my Zoom off and Zoom Filter set to "None" and unfortunately it is still randomly dimming and brightening on its own:(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox