Dim iPhone Screen After Updating to iOS 10.2.1

Edbo_316

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
After updating to iOS 10.2.1 I have noticed that my iPhone screen gets very dim. I check and I have brightness turned all the way up. Is this a new feature in the update or a bug that needs to be fixed?

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Check under "Display and Brightness" to see if "Auto Brightness" is enabled. I believe that's the new default. It will dim your screen when in lower light conditions. Some like it, some don't.

Edbo_316

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I checked that and it is turned off. Someone tweeted me that this is part of the update and when your phone gets below 75% then the screen dims to about 50% until it either dies or is charged back above that mark. I just want to see if thats true with anyone else who has updated. Also I have an iPhone 6s if that matters.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
After updating to iOS 10.2.1 I have noticed that my iPhone screen gets very dim. I check and I have brightness turned all the way up. Is this a new feature in the update or a bug that needs to be fixed?

I've had that happen when the phone was getting too hot and it was trying to protect itself. (I'd stupidly left it on a heating vent.) Once I moved it and cooled it down, it went back to normal.

Anything like that?

Edbo_316

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I thought that too but what happens is I just use the phone as normal, checking email and Twitter, etc. then I would set it down and come back to it. The phone feels cool to the touch but for some reason the screen was dimmer than it should be. During two instances while I was using the phone once it went to 74% the screen would dim right on the fly while I was using it and it won't go back to full brightness until I charge it. In both instances I was just scrolling through Twitter or checking Instagram and the phone was cool to the touch. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Edbo_316

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Also to add I noticed today that once my phone went below 50% it got even dimmer. It happened live, meaning I saw it happen, while I was on the phone and using it. Seems to be something that might have been added in the update, possibly by accident.

jsinclairqo

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
This is definitely happening, and this is the only thread I've seen so far on it. So thank you for posting. I think you're right about the 75% thing too. I'm charging my phone right now to confirm. iPhone 6 here. Not overheated (not even close - there's a blizzard outside and I don't have the heat on).

abooooodi

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I checked that and it is turned off. Someone tweeted me that this is part of the update and when your phone gets below 75% then the screen dims to about 50% until it either dies or is charged back above that mark. I just want to see if thats true with anyone else who has updated. Also I have an iPhone 6s if that matters.
I have the same issue on my iphone 6+ since last night after updating the ios and i should say i really dont like it if its a new feature by apple

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I would first try a hard reset.
Then try Reset All Settings.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.
Last resort, restore the phone. First restore with your back up. If that doesn't work, restore again as new, not from the back up.

HazFly

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I am having exactly the same problem with my 6s. No overheating, just a dim screen despite me changing in Settings to maximum brightness.

Having read this thread, I noted my phone was at 38% battery. It's now plugged in, charging and at 51% but still dim.

From my perspective this is a bug Apple definitely needs to fix.

Rohan Narula

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
yup same issue i have iphone 6 after this update the screen got dim while it was already below 80% i guess and i was playing game and then suddenlt fuk the screen got dim nd i got frustrated...now my battery is above 80% but still no full brightness...apple is crap in my experience...this is my first iphone and had a lot of issues with it...i got it swapped the 3rd day of purchase

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I haven't had the problem on either phone I put the beta on but I'll keep looking into it. Hopefully it's an issue fixed in the next update.

Edbo_316

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Update: I did a factory restore and then restored from a backup and I am still having the same issue with the screen dimming as the battery gets lower.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a 7 and haven't noticed dimmer screen but will definitely keep an eye out for it. I've seen so far folks affected using 6 and 6s. Any other devices?

Kevin Arnold4

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
I have two iPhones (iOS 10.2.1) a 6 and a 6S the issue as described is occurring only in the iPhone 6. Executing a restore does not rectify the problem, however there is a workaround that does work until the screen dims again at which point the workaround will need to be employed again in order to correct the issue.
try this...open settings, then open display and brightness. Make sure the auto brightness button is not on and make certain the horizontal slide button is advanced all the way to the right for maximum screen brightness. Now scroll down to the bottom of the display and notice “view". To the right of view you'll observe “standard”… open it. Now notice two choices of screen configurations "standard" and "zoomed". One of these will be highlighted (usually) standard. Now select "zoomed" and notice that "set" at the top right hand corner of the display under the battery meter is now highlighted. Select set, now when this action is taken the device will display at the bottom of the screen the words "Use Zoomed" now select "Use Zoomed" and the device with do a soft reset which will render the display dark for a few seconds. Wait for it to come back on and the display will be at 100% brightness level but zoomed or larger. Now reverse this process by selecting the standard setting. Now notice that set under the battery meter is now highlighted. Touch the select button and at the bottom of the display the device will indicate "Use Standard". Now simply touch the "Use Standard" the phone does a soft reboot and things are back to normal until the problem recurs. I think I know what is going on with this but I'll reserve making any comments at this time.

Rohan Narula

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Thx dude it works but still its temporary as when battery goes down to 49% it dims but changing zoom settings fixes it everytime but have to repeat the process again nd again...its a bug apple should fix it

Dennis774

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
When the dim happens, the only way to get the normal brightness again is to go to: Settings > Display and Brightness and find the Display Zoom option and tag it to Zoom and then back to normal. This way the brightness is "fixed" until the next time the battery reaches any of the predefined battery percentages

Rohan Narula

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
if someone noticed or not when battery is 100% brightness goes up to 80% only before zoomed nd standard temporary fix.....it doesnt even go to 100% brightness without that trick...its a major and very silly bug and if its the feature they added then apple is going to loose market

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the dimming but it's only caught my attention when the room is dark and when I wake my iPhone 7 the screen is really dim compared to what it used to be before updating

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW