What is the best way for an older person to learn how to use an iPhone 7?

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
If you aren't sure how to do something with any of the apps or features that come with your iPhone, the official Apple support pages should be your first stop. Apple is pretty good about providing documentation for their products and services in a clear and concise manner.

Official Apple Support: https://support.apple.com/

You should also check with your local Apple Store, often they will have workshops that cover the basics of using a certain product or feature.

Apple Store Workshops: https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2883792%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=3TFbviAS

alc1575

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Keep it simple. Text. Email. Photos. Facebook. A few other easy things.
How old are we talking? I'm 64.

My sister is 67 and keeps her 6s set up pretty simple: basically social media, email, photos, text, etc. The user guides are very informative and don't hesitate to ask questions here as well.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
There are also free workshops offered at any Apple store. So if you live close to one of those that would be a great thing for her to take advantage of.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm 71 and move between 6s plus and Lumia 950 xl without much problem. My biggest problem is keeping calendars and contacts synched between WM and IOS.

Be happy to help if needed.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Lessons from that son, daughter, or grandchild who is technically inclined? Plus the iPhone is VERY intuitive. (that means easy to learn, easy to pick up and just use).

There's an old story/rumor, that when the iPhone was first being designed, an early prototype was brought by the engineers to Steve Jobs, and he got very upset and sent them back. He told them they designed a phone for engineers, but he wanted a phone for regular people. He wanted a phone that he could hand to his grandmother and she would just be able to figure it out and use it!

We just got my 75 year old mom an iPhone, so I'm gonna see first hand what it's like! Show her Android was TOUGH, and she still doesn't get it right! Her Samsung is little more than a flip phone. Well she HAS figured out Facebook. ;) She LOVES facebook. If she poke's me one more time I'll scream!

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am probably going to get some dissent here... but, if a senior is getting a smartphone for the first time and not very technically proficient.... I would steer them away from an iPhone. I just don't see iOS as that senior/elderly friendly. I think other manufacturers do a better job. Samsung for example. Their "Easy Mode" is very senior/elderly friendly. Other options are BIG PHONE launcher for android phones.

I have seen too many elderly people "get lost" with an iPhone/iOS. I think Apple could do a better job.

Thats my opinion based on some real life experience. Personally, I love my 7Plus.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My MIL LOVES the classes offered at the Apple Store. She swears by them for all her Apple products. I'd say look into them.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I am probably going to get some dissent here... but, if a senior is getting a smartphone for the first time and not very technically proficient.... I would steer them away from an iPhone. I just don't see iOS as that senior/elderly friendly. I think other manufacturers do a better job. Samsung for example. Their "Easy Mode" is very senior/elderly friendly. Other options are BIG PHONE launcher for android phones.

I have seen too many elderly people "get lost" with an iPhone/iOS. I think Apple could do a better job.

Thats my opinion based on some real life experience. Personally, I love my 7Plus.

I kind of disagree, BUT I do agree that the Samsung easy mode is a handy feature! But I still think the iPhone is a great choice for the smart phone novice be they elderly or otherwise! :)

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
With "Easy Mode", you can create a custom homepage and keep it simple, big and with a big font they can easily read. Swipe to the left, push the picture of the face/person you want to call.. or swipe to the right for more apps.

Also, you can restrict them from getting into settings that will mess up their phone.

I am pro iOS for myself, however, as I said before, I think Apple can do a better job for seniors/elderly.

I know some seniors that have to lock their iPhone just to get a larger font so they can tell the time.

z15.jpg

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Agree Apple COULD do a better job, BUT with the workshops, the intuitive nature, and a knowledgeable friend/relative (as many suggested here) it works. BUT an easy mode setting like Samsung has would certainly be more convenient I'll give you that! lol

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
What I did for a friend was set iOS restrictions so that account settings etc were locked and they couldn't do anything too damaging.

However, I mixed that with Apple Store workshops which are amazing for entry level users

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
If the user is so technology challenged that they have to take classes, or "dumb down" a smartphone to the most basic functions just to use it. My question would be why not buy the right tool for the job, and save yourself a ton of money in the process. Lets be honest, this type of user is never going to notice the difference between a $850 iPhone, and a $99 dollar Jitterbug except the Jitterbug is geared specifically towards the users shortcomings ...prod_1933796912.jpeg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If the user is so technology challenged that they have to take classes, or "dumb down" a smartphone to the most basic functions just to use it. My question would be why not buy the right tool for the job, and save yourself a ton of money in the process. Lets be honest, this type of user is never going to notice the difference between a $850 iPhone, and a $99 dollar Jitterbug except the Jitterbug is geared specifically towards the users shortcomings ...View attachment 115957

Does it come with a 4.7" or 5.5" screen?

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

4 inch actually! Plus an ancient version of Android and only 8GBs of storage. One of the issues we had with my Mom was she ran out of storage, plus she was constantly noticing how slow the phone was. (She had/has a Samsung Galaxy Grand, the cheapie Samsung - Fortunately her iPhone 6 is coming TODAY! a day early!)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal