Removing attachments from iPhone/backup?

I

iMore Question

Hello!

My message attachments have begun to take up a large amount of space on my iPhone 6. In the past, I've been able to use a program called [redacted] to go into a backup of the phone, delete the attachments from it (while keeping the texts), and then restore the phone from that backup, thus freeing up the space.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be working anymore, as I just did a backup last night, and [redacted] is telling me it can't find the ".plist" file in the backup.

This is where it gets a bit confusing/complicated.

My iTunes library is located on an external hard drive, but the backup still seems to be located in the usual AppData>Roaming, etc. on my local system. What's odd is that my local system wouldn't have enough space to fit a backup of my whole phone to the hard drive, and it's the external hard drive that reduced in available memory space, not my local drive, as if the backup went there, even though the folder (with its large size, larger than the free space of my local hard drive) is on my local system/drive. Is it possible for a local-based backup to also be sourcing data from my external drive?

If anyone can answer what's going on with the above confusion,and then also a) Tell me how to fix this ".plist" issue with [redacted], or b) Tell me an alternative to clearing up the text attachments that doesn't involve selecting the attachments one by one in "Details" or deleting entire conversations, that would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by a moderator: