why does my text with picture show as "sent as text message"

I

iMore Question

I sent a text to a friend that usually is delivered in the blue box. Today I sent a text with a picture, while sending it stalled. It eventually was sent, but shows as "sent as text", in the green box. And the picture does not show, it just has the jpeg with downloading. What does this mean? Did they receive the message?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Any of the following will cause that to happen:

1. The recipient has disabled iMessage on his or her device.
2. The recipient's device is turned off
3. The recipient's device is not connected to the internet.
4. Connectivity problems.

graclarkey

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
The reason this happened is most likely because you had the “Send as SMS” setting in Messages turned on, and your 3G/4G/WiFi connnection was weak.

(It has nothing to do with the recipient’s data connection, other than where they have turned iMessage off completely. If they have a weak connection, the iMessage will just sit waiting undelivered until their connection is strong enough to receive it.)

My advice is to turn off “Send as SMS” in Settings>Messages.

It serves no purpose other than to send an SMS/MMS which you will never know whether it has or ever will be delivered; and if you’re sending photos/other multimedia, texting a foreign number, etc, you might incur unwanted charges.

If you really want to, you can always force/long-press an undelivered iMessage and manually send it individually as a text message. But it’s usually better to wait until the recipient connects to 3G/4G/WiFi, then at least you’ll see a delivery receipt.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices